sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently found this belt plate and was able to clean it up fairly well compared to how it came out of the ground. However the remaining dirt is just about as hard as concrete and I’m having a lot of difficulty getting it off. Last night I soaked it in soapy water and then tried to use a toothpick to pick it off but all that happened is that the toothpicks broke while the dirt stayed. I’d like to clean it while maintaining the patina. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521839840.752713.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521839854.720063.jpg

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i can tell you what NOT to do. Don't take a grinder to it!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak in distilled water, must be distilled. Change water and gently work with tooth pick daily

Army

Sep 3, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
I have not done metal detecting since 1995 but at that time I had a Fisher underwater metal detector.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Murat is acid works on calcium carbonate which is common on dirt. Can not remember it’s effect on the patina, you could try it in a little spot on the back to see how it works.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Murat is acid works on calcium carbonate which is common on dirt. Can not remember it’s effect on the patina, you could try it in a little spot on the back to see how it works.

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll look into that.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this belt plate and was able to clean it up fairly well compared to how it came out of the ground. However the remaining dirt is just about as hard as concrete and I’m having a lot of difficulty getting it off. Last night I soaked it in soapy water and then tried to use a toothpick to pick it off but all that happened is that the toothpicks broke while the dirt stayed. I’d like to clean it while maintaining the patina. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 1568155
View attachment 1568156

How did this work out?

I'm surprised you did not get more help .

I'd "Try" to get the brown dirt off as much as possible , then coat with petroleum jelly (as Barphing stated 'on a Button' )
Maybe a good coating / let sit for a day or so then wipe clean with a cotton cloth.

I say this as the Damage / corrosion 'looks' to have eaten into the Brass & like on certain Coins once it does that there is not much help.

Actually coat with whatever you like cause IMHO , It will bring the design out.
GL

& If you can post a picture of it after further cleaning please let me know , 'PM' would be best ' thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread