Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Army

Sep 3, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
I have not done metal detecting since 1995 but at that time I had a Fisher underwater metal detector.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Renascence wax is used in museums on all kinds of materials, it should not be an issue.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The purpose of Renaissance was is to help eliminate moisture in the air from attacking the surface of a relic,, especially iron. It is suggested that the surface of a relic be clean and dry. Dirt can trap moisture and allow rust to take hold.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the item; my usual thing to do is clean carefully, then heat in oven to drive off all moisture and apply wax while still warm.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do like these guys said about cleaning , and i also found that heating it up works wonders , the little cheap toaster ovens from walmart work great for this . i keep one in my shop just for this purpose ,and warm me up a samwitch :laughing7: just make sure you got a glove on before you reach in and grab it , the relic that is not the samwitch.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good info given here. The wax or a product named Gemplers works well in preserving iron relics and giving the iron a nice finished look providing you don't mind the iron turning black. There are videos on this on Utube on this product being used if you think you may be interested. I am not a salesman or in any way affiliated with this company. Just a satisfied customer. Really a good product. I could post pic's of some of my Relics treated with Gempler's if you are interested.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions