Am i doing this right-electrolysis.

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 5 gallon bucket with carbon rods as my sacrificial metal. I have a 10 amp manual battery charger. I use water and baking soda. Sometimes it works like gang busters but sometimes it’s slow as heck. I have used self tapping metal screws to get a bite of larger durable items such as ax heads but others i can’t because it’s either too far gone, small and i simply wrap the wire around the rusty item . There are some occasions i don’t get any reaction and i wonder what I’m doing wrong. Sometimes i think it’s my battery charger and the next thing you know it comes out fine. The water i use has a high alkaline measurement. Any ideas..

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a good connection to both the artifact and the sacrificial material you will have slow or no progress.Placing your alligator clip on a surface concretion will not make for good progress either. Slow though is not bad thing, but you might want to amp down to between 2 and 6 amps.You could also add a little more baking soda to your water sometimes this helps if your water/soda mix is light.

OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the input. I do notice that some of the slow items have a rust cocooon on them due to being under water. I guess I have to penetrate to good metal with my contact.

OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the input. I do notice that some of the slow items have a rust cocooon on them due to being under water. I guess I have to penetrate to good metal with my contact.

Army

Sep 3, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
I have not done metal detecting since 1995 but at that time I had a Fisher underwater metal detector.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Colin Pearson , conservation of marine archaeological objects, it is a great source for electrolyzing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread