Indian head cleaning

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cfound an Indian Head today, I can make out the head but can't get the date, just too much crud on it, on both sides. I could use some low current electrolysis or ultrasound on it to get the embedded crud off it, but I'm concerned it might damage it.

What's a good, safe, Non-destructive approach for cleaning a copper penny?

Thanks!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a little bit of hydrogen peroxide about a quarter cup in the microwave for about 20 seconds then drop it in. It works well if it has value I wouldn't do anything to it also pcgs cleans coins but they are kinda pricey

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A pic might help us a little. If the crud is green "oxided" copper, once you remove the oxide you'll see that what used to be part of the penny is now gone and just a crater in the coin or surface. If it's just real tough dirt I'd probably run it with my wheats in the rock tumbler and hope for the best.

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies!

With gentle rubbing with a frayed toothpick while keeping it wet, I was able to get a date of 1898 but the coin was packed with some buildup that all the old coppers I find have on them. I tried a brief (like 3-4 second) ultrasound on it and that removed some of the tightly adhered crud but I saw a green pit where I'm guessing the vibration knocked off a small patch & left the green oxidation XR7 mentioned. I now have it immersed in olive oil. It's not valuable o'course but if I find something colonial or of rarity and want to clean that, I'll want to know best how to do it and not damage a historic piece.

FWIW, I've read that electrolysis on pennies is not a good thing so I haven't done that but I have been having fun removing rust with it and turning old thickly rusted handmade nails & spikes into easily recognizable items. Just ordered some Titanium strips for this and it'll be less messy than using sacrificial iron. Is there any good way to use electrolysis on pennies, copper coins/buttons?

Also, as to a rock tumbler for coins & the like, won't the details get smashed in the tumbling? I think of how rough gems come out shiny & polished and think it would do that to the coins, leaving a shiny slug. Am I wrong on this? How can a tumbler not flatten all the details?

Thanks again for the replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread