Need advice on cleaning/restoring antique bear trap

Renegade34

Greenie
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I recently found this old bear trap and want to display it at our cottage. It has some surface rust but doesn't seem too deep. I would still like it to retain the antique look to it but want to clean it and remove the rust. Any suggestions?

bear trap1.jpg bear trap2.jpg

OP
OP
R

Renegade34

Greenie
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcomes!

I've never tried electrolysis but have been reading up on it a bit. Will it leave the patina and original coating? (it looks like there's a thin coat of black paint or some kid of black finish on it under the rust).

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Thanks for the welcomes!

I've never tried electrolysis but have been reading up on it a bit. Will it leave the patina and original coating? (it looks like there's a thin coat of black paint or some kid of black finish on it under the rust).

It’s will not be bright and shiny. And once it is oiled or waxed it will look aged but not corroded and messed up. Though any corrosion pits will be there.

OP
OP
R

Renegade34

Greenie
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! is there an oil or wax that you'd recommend?

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
All my old traps were origonially painted black. I've seen old bear traps displayed "set". I'm pretty sure they were tack welded. Some traps had to be set using c clamps. Don't stick your hand in there. Good luck.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice find. Looks like it's still functional, and even has the obligatory broken testing stick trapped in it's jaws. Yeah, as a display, I strongly recommend disabling it, unless you have brutal drinking parties, then leave as is in a conspicuous spot. A GREAT party game!

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a trapper off and on for years. Just display the trap as it sets. do not disable it or display it set with the jaws open unless you want to ruin the value. If you want authentic, you can boil it in logwood crystals (available through trap supply stores) and then coat it in trap wax. The logwood crystals will leave it with a flat black finish and the wax will preserve it.

Just my 2 cents
Mike

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goto for rust removal is typically electrolysis, but it will usually leave the metal looking kind of blackened. Another method I've used I'd soaking the item in muriatic acid. After cleaning I'll spray them with penetrating oil or apply mineral oil, but I've never done any wax treatments so I can't speak to that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread