Should I clean NOVA CONSTELLATIO? On the FENCE!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am itching to go further with this coin...
...but very hesitant as well.

Since finding it I have given it no more than a light brushing with a soft tooth brush.
No water has touched it.

Under the thin film of hardened soil I see strong detail on the front and a weak die struck on the reverse.
There is a nice green patina and little or no signs of pitting or patches of raw copper showing through.

I have heard arguments, both pro and con (but not on TNet), for further cleaning elsewhere.
I have no intention of selling this piece so I'm not worried about preserving the 'out of the ground' state.
I just want to reveal that 1783 on the reverse.
I have had very good success in the past with Indian Head Cents and even Large Cents using a hot hydrogen peroxide soak and rub off of the soil film.

What to do?
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_2163 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2163 - Copy.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2171 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2171 - Copy.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 96

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would either use some of the Andre's pencils on it or leave it as it. If you use any liquid, including water, it's done for.

How did you get my cat's picture stuck there?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Do not alter the coin in any manner.

If you must do anything in the of arena preserving and or cleaning, consider sending to the NCS.

They state:
From within a state-of-the-art secure facility, NCS uses a variety of proprietary techniques to remove harmful surface contaminants, stabilize and protect a coin’s surfaces, and improve eye appeal. The American Numismatic Association (ANA), the only coin collecting organization chartered by US Congress, and the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) have named NCS their conservation service of choice.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would either use some of the Andre's pencils on it or leave it as it. If you use any liquid, including water, it's done for.

How did you get my cat's picture stuck there?

Hey, smokethecat. So many folks seem to have luck with Andre's pencils. I have yet to try them. I'm a bit hesitant of using anything abrasive.
Shark Cat...I call it the Sh-at or the Sh-itty. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave it as is....Looks good to me
Thanks, for talking me down off of the ledge villagenut...
Do not alter the coin in any manner.

If you must do anything in the of arena preserving and or cleaning, consider sending to the NCS.

They state:
From within a state-of-the-art secure facility, NCS uses a variety of proprietary techniques to remove harmful surface contaminants, stabilize and protect a coin’s surfaces, and improve eye appeal. The American Numismatic Association (ANA), the only coin collecting organization chartered by US Congress, and the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) have named NCS their conservation service of choice.

Interesting suggestion, dognose. I would be afraid to ship it off anywhere though... Is it risky or expensive?

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Professional conservation from NCS is 4% of the coin's Fair Market Value (FMV) ($25 minimum) but some modern and gold coins are eligible for discounted services that provide both NCS conservation and NGC grading for a flat fee.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be worthwhile to call them and get more information.

The regular fees are posted here
https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc/

I have a number of slabbed coins. Mostly higher grade civil war tokens.

Professional conservation from NCS is 4% of the coin's Fair Market Value (FMV) ($25 minimum) but some modern and gold coins are eligible for discounted services that provide both NCS conservation and NGC grading for a flat fee.

Thanks for the links and advice, dognose and tomclark.
Now that I've looked into it more this definitely is the way to go. I may ask a local coin dealer, up the road from work, to help me out so that I don't screw up.

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No don’t mess with it and don’t waste a nickel on any BS “ preservation “

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I don't agree with gaspipe.

It my view that a few dollars spent on good preservation, could reap dividends down the line.

For example, if you store this coin in an manner which allows humidity or air-borne pollutants to contact the coin, this may promote or support the corrosion process, resulting in additional damage to the coin.

You may store the coin in a flip. There are vinyl flips, non-plasticized flips, and saflips, and the safest types are made of an archival-safe material commonly known as Mylar. placing this coin in a non archival-safe material may result in the green looking patina and corrosion which could eat into the coin.

I don't advocate submitted ALL coins found, but a rare coin like this is different.

At minimum talk to someone which knowledge of the storage medium and take steps now to preserve it as, especially if you do not to be submitted to a professional conservation organization.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andre's pencils can do wonders but in my experience only work if the metal underneath the crust is stable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions