FLOATERS FOLGER ELECTROLYSIS MACHINE

F

Floater

OK Guy this is easy. These Folgers coffee buckets are perfect for Electrolysis. The parts are 2 3/8 stainless steel Bolts with nuts and washers. Then 2 neoprene 3/8 washers. Drill 2 holes in the flat section of the bucket.(3/8 ) Then insert the Bolt in from the inside out.
Make sure you put one washer on and the neoprene washer on the inside and then insert the bolt and slip the other SS washer on and the bolt and tighten. This is water proof now and you have two places for conductors. I then just took one of my old battery chargers from a cellphone and cut the end off and installed the two wire clips. Negative and positive. Make sure whatever transformer you use it is output DC less than 14 volt. Anywhere between 6 and 12 is good. The other thing is the MA rating. Mine is low at 130 MA you can go as high as 750 ma or even 1.0amp but you really have to watch it with the higher amperage. the lower the slower and we all know that cleaning slow is good.

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 4,816
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4,805
  • e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 4,788
  • e5.jpg
    e5.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,820
OP
OP
F

Floater

OK one more pic here. and as you can see everthing just goes back in it when your done and stores really easy. Tommorow I will post a few more picks with the usage. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• e6.jpg
    e6.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4,872
OP
OP
F

Floater

free2Dtect said:
Floater keep the mustache it looks good on you.
UGGHHH Pete what are we trying to say here? Are you saying My inventive nature is not quite to your liking. Or maybe that it is just a little too sophmoric for you. Hellooo Pete. I really am trying. Albeit it's not the Space Program around here. ;D I'm thinking that if you plug the connectors on to your winkie you may get a rise, but this is not the intended purpose.LOL

R

rvbvetter

Floater; Looks like a good idea. I been dunking them in my coffee. The way i make it, takes everthing off. I have headphones like yours. At first i couldn't find anything. But once i started wearing them side to side instead of front to back, my finds really improved. HH

OP
OP
F

Floater

I have headphones like yours. At first i couldn't find anything. But once i started wearing them side to side instead of front to back, my finds really improved. HH

ROFLMAO. Good one RV.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Seriously Floater, that looks like a great little inexpensive invention. Already keep clad in 1 and silver in the other. Just awaiting further instructions. Thanks!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Floater ............................I know this is really gonna sound dumb,,,but could you explain to the audiance...(Me at the moment)....How to hook this thing up ? Or better yet post another pic.
I have used an old battery charger to do (E) but it was in a Glass jar,and hooked one to the coin and the other to a stainless steel spoon..........Yours sounds like a better reusable option,,,but I am not Quite getting the picture in my head.....I am trying to recover with a head ache I've got from my last M.D. Hunt.....My ears are still ringinging from having my treshold too Hiiiiiiigh and the Voluuuuumme Tooooo Loooouuuuddd.............L.O.L.

OP
OP
F

Floater

Ok here are the working pictures. The first pic shows the Alligator clip POS attached to one of the Conductors (Bolt) The other conductor is attached to the paper clip with the quarter in it. (Negative) Pic two just shows the water which should be distilled or at least filtered with a small amount of baking soda or Salt your choice.Also note the water is above the Bolts. (conductors) This makes the water conductive. OK Pic three shows the quarter suspended in the solution and cleaning . I suspend it with a wood dowel so the alligator clip doesn't touch the water. The paperclip is sacrificial. I will post the cleaned quarter when its done.

Attachments

• ELectrolysis2.jpg
    ELectrolysis2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 4,800
  • ELectrolysis3.jpg
    ELectrolysis3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 4,644
  • ELECtrolysis1.jpg
    ELECtrolysis1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4,854
OP
OP
F

Floater

OK so after 1-1/2 hours this is what it looks like.Now I took it out and just put a little baking soda on it rubbed lightly and its clean. This is Clad. I did this for demonstration. Also note the time it took. Remember my MA is only 6 volts - 130 MA if you up the Ma to a 250 to 500 MA it would probably take about 20 minutes or less. The problem is though with something you want to really keep, the slower the better so you don't eat the good metal. Always check it every 5 minutes or so. Good Luck and there is more info on the coin/artifact cleaning thread that discusses actual methods for this type of cleaning and what to use for the type of objects. This is only a machine to help you get there.

Attachments

• clco.jpg
    clco.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4,628
  • clco1.jpg
    clco1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 4,580

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just One Or Two More DUMBBB Questions.....I did not know,,,are paper clips Stainless Steel ? If they are not.....does it have any ill affect to the coins( penny or silver) in the process ? Sorry but I really do not know........Very Nice Pictures ....Thanks for your pateince

OP
OP
F

Floater

I believe most are. There are other methods to attach the electrode though depending on the object. I have a stainless Spoon that is large which i drilled holes in and then put Stainless screws up thru the bottom so I could rest objects vs/clipping them. This is for more delicate items. If you are cleaning a relic made of steel with rust on it then the clips are fine. I also recommend changing the water a couple of times on really dirty items. Alway use the baking soda soak to neutralize the process and it is stable and wont stain anything. Thanks for asking Mcnickle . You have exhausted my limited knowledge on cleaning though . I really am a beginner at this so my techniques need refining also. Thanks for looking. HH

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
just one slight correction Floater.. The negative lead is the one that goes to the part to be cleaned.. The negative lead can be identified, as the one that bubbles (hydrogen gas) when submerged.. don't let it bubble too much, or your coin will get eaten..
this is how we alway taught the diver/weldor to identify the correct lead for his welding rod underwater .. it bubbles.. and is called straight polarity..

OP
OP
F

Floater

I will correct that GunFarce. Thanks. I thought some one said the positive bubbles but I must of read it wrong and being the welder and diver you are i know your correct. I guess maybe I should change my pic to show that also. but not tonight. Have you used Electrolysis for Cleaning GunFarce? I really want to get some more knowledge on it but the artifact cleaning forum does not get to specific. Thanks again.
HH

M

mtl-huntr

Floater this is right up my alley I love to make things like this.......Good Job>>>
And I think I have enough stuff in my junk box to make one.....maybe this weekend.....

M

mtl-huntr

One question Floater why two bolts?.......And let me make sure I got this right... negative lead to the bolt ...positive lead to the coin?

M

mtl-huntr

Ok I think we were posting about the same time I didn't see your last post...I got the polarity right now.....positive bolt...neg to the coin.....

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks floater,,,,,,,,,,You have explained it all.....When I build mine I'll have to try to remember which gets the positive terminal.....H.H.

OP
OP
F

Floater

No Gun Farce Corrected me and the Positive to the bolt and the negative to the Coin or object I have it hooked up right just not labeled right. My negative clip is really my positive clip. I just put the color coding wrong and never checked with a meter first. I just saw which one bubbled and then thought that end was positive. The two bolts i used just because the Folgers has the two sides and i figured if one start to corrode then i have the other one to go before i need to replace it. Remember the current is drawing between the two metal objects so the other bolt receives little if any current to corrode it. The bolt i use the most actually shows some slight signs of use but that is more attraction from the dirty water after cleaning a really rusty item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread