UPDATE--olive oil: 1730 King George + 1925 Merc Dime

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
(UPDATE -- Olive Oil did the trick...I can see a lot more of the back, and found the line and can now see what looks to be 1730 with bust facing left, it has to be a King George II -- thanks to Don in South Jersey for clarification.)

I had a good day today at the old colonial site (same place I got the 1810 Large Cent posted yesterday). There's a nice leaf cover so it's fine digging because none of the dirt is exposed to the cold. Today it produced the first colonial coin yet, a King George, not in great shape, but it's the one that's the size of a quarter. I thought it was another large cent at first. I can see the outline of the bust and some of the Georgevous and Rex and either II or III. The back sucks. I can't see the line under where the date would be, just some shapes of the lady who is usually there. It's not going to photograph at all. If I can get anything worth photoing I will. I also got a 1925 Merc...first Merc from that site, also gold guilded button with a shield and eagle on top. The edges of the button look like an upside down beer bottle cap, with the same type of ridges. There's not a lot of gold left, but you can see how it would have looked with the eagle above the shield (I don't think it's real gold). I can't read the button maker at this point. The loop is smooshed down on the back, but it's there. A couple of wheaties too. All in all, a good day. Time to eat...Bergie out!

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hi Bergie

How are you able to dig in New York in January? Here in Ohio the ground is frozen.

Keep us informed what you are finding at the colonial site

Thanks for sharing

HH

Sanat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread