Does Using Baking Soda To Clean Coins Hurt The Value?

jetshark

Greenie
Feb 15, 2008
Ohio/Florida
Detector(s) used
Various (mostly whites)
I know this is a basic question, but it amazes me how much people differ on this when I ask them. Is it a bad idea to use baking soda to clean coins with? I am just curious on what peoples opinions are on this. I was always told that the use of a little baking soda was not a bad idea, but people seem to have various answers on this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jetshark

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Jet,

Welcome to T-Net

The basic answer to the question is if the coin is a clad one, No.

If you think the coin has any value don't even rub it with your fingers.
Baking soda is very abrasive and will remove metal.
If metal is removed in the cleaning process the coin loses value.
This cleaning and preservation forum on this site will help with some of your questions.
Several of the members here are very knowledgeable when it comes to coins and their help will be given for the asking... Buckleboy comes to mind.

He is always glad to help.
Use the private message button just below his avatar to directly contact him.

Welcome,
Keep posting.
Thom
Old Dog

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, baking soda is very harmful to collectable coins. Never use anything abrasive on a collectable coin.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jetshark said:
I know this is a basic question, but it amazes me how much people differ on this when I ask them. Is it a bad idea to use baking soda to clean coins with? I am just curious on what peoples opinions are on this. I was always told that the use of a little baking soda was not a bad idea, but people seem to have various answers on this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jetshark

It depends on the coin or cob being cleaned.

Never clean modern coins with anything unless they're just clad or of little value.

Baking Soda is okay for ruff surface items like shipwreck cobs and dug pitted copper coins.

Baking soda is ideal for the electrolysis bath as it doesn't foul like salt. Salt corrupts quickly while baking soda obsorbs impurities.

Badger

OP
OP
J

jetshark

Greenie
Feb 15, 2008
Ohio/Florida
Detector(s) used
Various (mostly whites)
I should have been more specific. The coins I am referring to are cobb coins from the 1715 fleet.

Thanks,

JetShark.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jetshark said:
I should have been more specific. The coins I am referring to are cobb coins from the 1715 fleet.

Thanks,

JetShark.

I've cleaned those before. Use the baking soda and foil method.

Badger

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Common date 20th Century silver coin's value are not going to be affecting by using baking soda.They are only worth melt value,if you like the look then use it.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
jetshark said:

Thanks,

JetShark.

I've cleaned those before. Use the baking soda and foil method.

Badger

I have used the Vinager and Aluminum foil method for cleaning clad coins.
Baking soda, and a little water works well for cleaning off normal oxidation buildup on old shipwreck coins. However, if the are encrusted cobs, they are going to hit the electrolysis tank first.

Paul Spain

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
none yet, Might when I can afford to buy one.
Primary Interest:
Other
After you get that stuff off them have you tried EZest yet?
eZest_480.jpg
That is what the professional coins dealers use and sell,I use it on my coins and it is great..It even brought back life in heavily oixidated zinc coins covered in white powder (Zinc Oxide).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions