🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
nyiangelo said:
Here's my attempt at Naval Jelley. It really cleaned this shoe buckle up. Maybe to much, because in person it looks brand new.

As long as that's gilt or silver plate it's good. :thumbsup: There's no in between for that condition... it's either leave it as is, or clean it so it shines.

I agree with IP. That's a first rate cleaning job on that silver plated buckle! Well done.

And glad I could get reply #100. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobinSouthVA said:
bump

thanks BB

I'm happy to help, Bob. Feel free to post some photos of some buttons to this thread if you wish. :thumbsup:

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
ok here are the results. Just picking and a bit of brushing. As you can see this one has been a bit squashed and I'm afraid if I try to clean the back anymore it will fall off. It is tight at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_5035.JPG
    IMG_5035.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_5040.JPG
    IMG_5040.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_5041.JPG
    IMG_5041.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 386
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that's about as good as you'll get, Bob. I agree that you shouldn't submerge or wet the button. The back is severely compromised, and it looks quite fragile. But the good news is that it's a great button find, and it is in legible shape and all still holding together.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Many thanks for this thread, BuckleBoy!

Last weekend, I was digging several feet down into the foundation of a 1700s structure that apparently burned many years ago. Pipe bowls, glass, oysters, etc. were showing up, along with this button. It seems to be a pewter button and has a design on it I'm not familiar with- looks like a barrel? I'd like to clean it so I can read more of the lettering and get an ID on it, but as you can see there are already small cracks so I must be careful. What's the best way to clean this pewter button?

Thanks for any help!
-Jason

Attachments

• 2-7-11 finds 013.jpg
    2-7-11 finds 013.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 334
  • 2-7-11 finds 014.jpg
    2-7-11 finds 014.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 324

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason H. said:
Many thanks for this thread, BuckleBoy!

Last weekend, I was digging several feet down into the foundation of a 1700s structure that apparently burned many years ago. Pipe bowls, glass, oysters, etc. were showing up, along with this button. It seems to be a pewter button and has a design on it I'm not familiar with- looks like a barrel? I'd like to clean it so I can read more of the lettering and get an ID on it, but as you can see there are already small cracks so I must be careful. What's the best way to clean this pewter button?

Thanks for any help!
-Jason

Now that is a tough one!

Here's what I would do, and you really have to think about how you go about it because there's so little that can be done with that button.

The first thing I'd do is get some water-based clean urethane/lacquer and a small paint brush and coat the back, give it a quick wipe with a lint free cloth, then let dry. I would also seal the sides the same way, as well as the outer edge of the front where the cracks are... but leave the majority of the face alone. That button doesn't look like it's going to last too long being cracked like that.

For stage 2 I would soak it in olive oil just the same way people have done for copper coins for years. I no longer put my coins in oil, but learned something many years ago not knowing any better and throwing a pewter button in, and that is it cleaned it! It took many months, and I left it in a little too long and the edge got eaten down to the base metal, but had I checked on it once a month I probably could have avoided the cleaning going too far.

Stage 3... and the unknown territory. I told you to seal the button first because it does need it, but also because olive oil does not seem to prevent further decay, something that surprised me. Now here's what I can't tell you because I've never actually tried it... will the acid in the oil eat the urethane off the button leaving it unprotected? It's not really a big deal if it does as it just puts you back to where you are now, but it makes a long soak a little more concerning and cracking/edge loss more possible.

Anyway, good luck. What I suggested is sort of a safe way to try and clean it because pewter is tough in general, and you really don't want to be aggressive in any way with that one. Many people would tell you to seal it as is and be happy with it, but I would be determined to see more detail, and after reading my suggestion it's probably obvious I didn't just wake up today and came up with that. I have cleaned one heck of a lot of buttons for quite a few years now, but even so I still have never come up with a great way to clean pewter to keep it looking old. Some people buff the corrosion off, but I don't care for that, and with so much cracking I don't think it would be an option anyway.

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Iron Patch, thank you so much for the detailed reply! I especially needed tips on stabilization, so that was really helpful. I don't have all the necessary materials yet, and I also received a cleaning suggestion from BioProfessor on the "What is it?" forum. If I can get it stabilized and cleaned a little with your suggestions, I'll post an updated picture (hopefully with an ID). Thanks again!

-Jason

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:

Thanks, friend! It was great to get to hunt with you a few weeks ago. Time for you two to sniff out some more old housesites--and I have some work to do down here this year in terms of diggin.

Best Wishes,

Buck

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
one of the most informational post i have had the pleasure to read thank you so much for taking the time to post it . were can i find aluminum jelly? i have a lot of buttons and have always made the mistake of water and brushes on them at least know i have the knowledge to properly clean them

thanks
Jeremiah

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moah4me said:
one of the most informational post i have had the pleasure to read thank you so much for taking the time to post it . were can i find aluminum jelly? i have a lot of buttons and have always made the mistake of water and brushes on them at least know i have the knowledge to properly clean them

thanks
Jeremiah

Jeremiah,

Aluminum jelly can be found in hardware stores, like Ace Hardware. You could probably also find it at Lowe's.

Be sure to post some photos if you have any questions on cleaning. It may take me a few days to get around to it, but I will reply.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before/After photos. I dug this button in Virginia in 1993. Had it in the display case for years, then started to think there might be a bit of gilding underneath. The results were quite shocking:

Eagles BeforeAfter.jpg

Attachments

• Eagles BeforeAfter.jpg
    Eagles BeforeAfter.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 276

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Bump

And question I could not find in the thread,

What is used/process to seal a button after cleaning?

Wax? Certain kind?

Would just like to start protecting buttons i've cleaned.

Thanks

:icon_thumleft:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
BobinSouthVA said:
Bump

And question I could not find in the thread,

What is used/process to seal a button after cleaning?

Wax? Certain kind?

Would just like to start protecting buttons i've cleaned.

Thanks

:icon_thumleft:

Great question, especially for pewter buttons which begin to flake almost immediately!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my contribution to this thread...before and after!

Attachments

• DSCF00262.jpg
    DSCF00262.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 17 December 2011 008.jpg
    17 December 2011 008.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 559
  • DSCF00262.jpg
    DSCF00262.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 487
  • 17 December 2011 008.jpg
    17 December 2011 008.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 555

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
romeo-1 said:
Here's my contribution to this thread...before and after!

That button came out great Romeo, did you use the jelly?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one. Romeo taught me everything I know.

And remember, cleaning relics hurts the value!

Attachments

• zbefore_after.jpg
    zbefore_after.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 493
  • zbefore_after.jpg
    zbefore_after.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 478

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread