Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there is no more cleaning that can be done to it? I didn't start looking for cleaning methods until after I took the water to it. Oh well. How do you tell a difference between a button like this and a civil war era button?

Thanks!

The one you have is a one-piece button, right? Civil War eagles are two-piece buttons. Not a problem on the water, just remember that it is a cleaning method. That's a great find. Any military button is a great find!

Cheers,

Buck

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one you have is a one-piece button, right? Civil War eagles are two-piece buttons. Not a problem on the water, just remember that it is a cleaning method. That's a great find. Any military button is a great find!

Cheers,

Buck

I never knew that Civil War buttons were two piece. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Thanks and happy hunting!
Elijah

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some help with this bad boy. I am 90% sure there is a solid cast CSA under all that junk. Any ideas???

Attachments

• image-2234451767.jpg
    image-2234451767.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 205
  • image-932701623.jpg
    image-932701623.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 181
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some help with this bad boy. I am 90% sure there is a solid cast CSA under all that junk. Any ideas???

I can't really tell with the blurry photos... Some super tough patina for sure. Have you tried hot peroxide and careful toothpicking to loosen the crud?

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the first thing I tried. Be prepared to cringe I tried little blast of electrolysis. Did move the stuff. I did at least get to see a nice one piece shank. I will post a few new photos later.

falldown

Greenie
Sep 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So. I tried to use your method using Naval Jelly. Sadly I think I left the jelly on too long, because it oxidized the edge of my button. Very foolish of me to use this method without clarifying things first. Alas. I will say, some of the gold looks great, but it killed part of the maker's mark on the back of the button.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So. I tried to use your method using Naval Jelly. Sadly I think I left the jelly on too long, because it oxidized the edge of my button. Very foolish of me to use this method without clarifying things first. Alas. I will say, some of the gold looks great, but it killed part of the maker's mark on the back of the button.

As a general rule, I leave ALL the dirt on the back of the button, then try to only get the front wet, then once the cleaning is finished and the whole button is totally dry I toothpick the back to reveal the backmark. Naval Jelly is in general stronger than Aluminum Jelly. Do you have a before/after photo of your button to post?

Best Wishes,

Buck

LaGold

May 8, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP deus and whites Mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd like give buckleboy a special thanks on sharing his cleaning techniques. I became a believer after making a few mistakes on coins and buttons. Luckily I'm fairly new at the relic hunting and found his how to instructionals quickly. It helped me on a recent WMI cadet button find and more recently a super crusty v nickel. I didn't take a before pic but you can see it in the video before and after. It came out absolutely amazing compared to the last two which I didn't use his tooth picking and skin oil technique on. Here's a link so you can see the nickel before and after.

Thanks again buckleboy

signals diggem all... LaGold

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like give buckleboy a special thanks on sharing his cleaning techniques. I became a believer after making a few mistakes on coins and buttons. Luckily I'm fairly new at the relic hunting and found his how to instructionals quickly. It helped me on a recent WMI cadet button find and more recently a super crusty v nickel. I didn't take a before pic but you can see it in the video before and after. It came out absolutely amazing compared to the last two which I didn't use his tooth picking and skin oil technique on. Here's a link so you can see the nickel before and after.

Thanks again buckleboy

signals diggem all... LaGold

Great results, LaGold! Glad the tips are working for you in that great, Red dirt up there!

Cheers,

Buck

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this Waltham Pocket Watch (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/444974-gold-pocket-watch-silver-more.html) about a week ago and just got around to cleaning it.

I decided to use Naval Jelly on it, but this was my first time so I picked out a few practice pieces to clean first. I followed BuckleBoy's procedure for cleaning gilt buttons.

Before:
1.jpg

After:
2.jpg 3.jpg

Specifically I wanted to get the patent dates off this piece of watch guts. I could just tell that there was something written before cleaning.
4.jpg

Then I got down to the pocket watch.

Before:
5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

After:
8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

I spent about 4 hours, over two days, trying to get the back off. I used some techniques I read about in watch forums... its on there for good. I did find a similar model and I believe its late 1890's to early 1900's. I will never know for sure since the back is stuck, but the gold is thicker than plate in most places, except where it has heavy wear and the base metal is showing. Based on my research I conclude its gold filled and well used before being lost\discarded.

Its surrounded by watch guts in one of my cases now!
IMG_20150107_172312967.jpg

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pocket watch cleaned up GREAT!! Congrats, and thanks for posting your results here!

Best Wishes,

Buck

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is incredibly helpful thank you! I just dug a huge eagle button at my grandparent's house in southern Ohio and am going to have my wife stop and pick up some aluminum jelly while she is out. I'll definitely post some before and after pics. All I did was dip it in water and very lightly wipe it with my fingers. Barely took off any dirt before putting it into the sun to try it out before toothpicking it.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is incredibly helpful thank you! I just dug a huge eagle button at my grandparent's house in southern Ohio and am going to have my wife stop and pick up some aluminum jelly while she is out. I'll definitely post some before and after pics. All I did was dip it in water and very lightly wipe it with my fingers. Barely took off any dirt before putting it into the sun to try it out before toothpicking it.

Hi Mr. Helton! If there is gilding left on the button, then aluminum jelly or lemon juice should work. Would love to see how it turns out with before/after photos! Congrats on a great find!

-Buck

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ya go buck, as requested. I used naval jelly on this civil war infantry button, I lightly rolled it on with a qtip and immediately washed it off with warm soapy watter, I did this 3x til I was happy with the shine

Before:
buttonfront.jpg

after
20150423_154545.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to share the results of this pre civil war navy button that I cleaned using Bucks method. Was shocked at the results. Thanks Buck
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used