wheat penny cleaning

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Digitup,After i wash wheats with soap and hot water,I soak in olive oil for a week.Remove and clean with a #40 soft toothbrush and they come out great.For some they may need to go back in for an add,week.Works well with brass and copper items aswell. Hope this helps.HH

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... it helps me out too! I just bougth a bottle of olive oil stuff for a can of wheaties I've dug. Let's hope DigItUp and DigginItUp can getter' done! I've got some nice wheats but they sure are ugly from sitting in Mother Earth for so long.
DigItUp, I'm sure Jarman has the good info, those "senior" detectorists know all. ;D

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON'T CLEAN YOUR WHEATS!!

If you feel you must do it!! Just do an olive oil soak and rinse with water then blot dry! This goes for all coins exept real valuable ones don't even think about cleaning a valuable coin if it needs done send it to a pro.

HH!!

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Hey MUD, question for you

I've a handful of wheat's '41-56' I pulled out of the ground this Spring. The ground was swamp-like, soft, water filled in the hole as soon as I dug. That stuff appears to have solidified onto the wheats . I can make the date out on some of them, but just barely. I've seen your repeated posts on not to clean them, but there's not much to identify these as a coin other then the shape. Should I try the olive oil? Also pulled a '41 Jefferson that is stained brown. Should I leave that be? I have a feeling there's much more at this site, but it'll have to wait for colder weather (water moccasins, poison ivy, are a few of the summertime residents.

Thanks, tb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread