Old Pocket Watches -Value?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I have a handfull of gold pocket watches that were giving to my dad. My dad passed away and they have been hanging around. My dad had no idea what they were worth and neither do I. All but two appear not to work. They are gold in color but Im not sure what metals they are made of. I would think that someone would collect broken ones, maybe for parts. I do know that they are quite old. Where would I research these? Im guessing...jewelers or possibly ebay?

Attachments

• 112_1263.JPG
    112_1263.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 16,283

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
You might try Cooksey Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches. There's a new one every year (I think it's up to #26 now), but any reasonably recent edition ought to give you a fair idea of value. And of course you can always check for matching watches in "Completed Listings" on eBay.

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
Well on all of the gold pocket watches it will be stamped on the back of the case once you open it. It will say the karat and place it was minted unless it was gold filled which would say warranted or guaranteed for 25 years or something along those lines. Be careful when you open the back because it might be a screw on case, a "pop" case or one that you will need a tool to open.. One thing that you shouldn't do is touch the gears because it will cause damage to the watch. For Waltham you could go here for some help with dating them. http://www.waltham.ch/cgi/waltham/search.asp and this will help finding the serial number: http://www.antique-pocket-watch.com/waltham-pocket-watch-serial.html Good luck!

H

historian_obsessed

Do you still have your watches? Are you keeping all of them?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a sit that is priceless for researching old timepieces.They won't give you prices,but they will tell you any and everything you want to know regarding your pocketwatches,all you have to do is ask.I bought an old Waltham off of Ebay a couple years ago,didn't know anything about it.Went to the website asked a few questions about age,the works,the size,the case,etc.,turned around and sold it back on Ebay for almost 3 times what I paid for it.You do have to sign up to ask questions,doesn't cost anything though.http://www.nawcc-mb.com/bbv2.Hope this helps.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
You have a nice collection of pocket watches there. I collect old pocket and wristwatches.
Most of mine are either 17 or 21 jeweled movements. I have several different brands,styles,and sizes. It is getting harder to find good working condition jeweled movement pieces. You can
still buy mechanical jeweled movement watches, but they are now high end pieces from Switzerland, Germany,and Russia.

pace4me

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to sell them, I would love the opportunity to make an offer. I would like to make the offer in private, not here for all to see.
Thanks,
Rich
[email protected]

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have a watch repairman look at those...I would need a description or photos of the movements to determine value...great looking bunch of chains also...if they are gold filled,probably worth $40 or more,if they are karat they are worth 92 percent of melt or more. Get some more info up, I'll answer any questions right here, I can pay with PayPal or in cash in sw Florida, good luck, Herb

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that hit count right? Who says pocket watches are not in style...............

The OP's post is over 7 years old. undertaker hasn't signed on since September first, so he may see this one of these days...

man+suit+pocket+watch+impatient+on+time.png

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think this forum needs an official "Undertaker". Someone who removes and archives posts that haven't had any action by the OP in like 5 years. Would clean lots of things up. We could cal it "The Morgue".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread