Help identifying vintage watch.

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
I was wondering if anyone has heard of Orvin watches and might know the value of this 14k ladies watch. It is my grandmothers and she wants to scrap it but thought I should research it for her first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ForumRunner_20130222_171808.png

ForumRunner_20130222_171836.png

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another onliner's opinion from some time ago:
Orvin watches were sold exclusively by Sears and Roebucks and were largely either of a relatively inexpensive mechanism (ebauche) or a more highly regarded movement from Cortebert. Immediately after the second world war the Swiss watchmaking industry dominated the watch market, but Orvin is generally not a sought after brand for collectors, and certainly not outside the USA where a certain sentimental interest probably buoys pricesAnyway, if you've got the lower quality ebauche I would think the watch is worth a few dollars, and if it is the more high-end ebauche, maybe 50 dollars if it is good condition and working.. if you can open the back and take a picture of the movement that would be helpful in establishing the type of watch. Incidentally, the 17 jewels is exactly what you'd expect in a normal fully-jeweled watch and the jewels themselves are artificial rubies of no intrinsic worth.
Don....

OP
OP
B

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
Thank you. I would say it is the high end since it is 14k but it sounds like the gold scrap is going to be the major value. Thanks again.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BigMike, I repaired watches for local jewelers in SW Missouri for years and I belonged to several collectors groups and scoured the internet for prices. I was a member of the NAWCC and AWI. That was a while back but I can tell you I have never seen a lady's watch sought after by collectors. There is no collector's value in lady's watches. Scrap it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread