Pocket Watch Help...

Guajino

Feb 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456651736.175460.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456651761.575259.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456651783.806543.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456673053.733075.jpg

Hello everyone I just found this beautiful pocket watch while metal detecting. It has the crown & crescent moon with the 0.800/ JJ initials on top off it. The watch also have some small symbols but I can not tell what they are. The watch reflects the following S/N "2 0 0 9" I think because it has a weird number or symbol before the S/N. I wish to know the history and if can be repaired and the possible cost of the repair. I hope their is someone out here with the knowledge and experience to help me on this quest.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched Google and found the following (which may or may not relate to your watch - haven't a clue what I am talking about)... :)

The German mark for silver is a crown and crescent moon...
In 1884 a law was enacted making .800 the minimum national standard for silver in Germany. In 1886 the use of individual city marks was abolished and replaced by the national mark (reichsmark) of a crescent moon and crown mark (halbmond und Krone) representing the entire German state. These marks became compulsory by 1888. The crown & crescent moon are used in conjunction with a maker's mark and decimal silver standard mark.

OP
OP
Guajino

Guajino

Feb 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you "vpnavy" for sharing ur thoughts but I need a true and honest answer. I did my homework but I need expert opinion on the issue.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We need a picture of the movement inside the back of the watch. It is 80% Silver (.800). Sterling is 92.5% Silver (.925). Also how big is it. How many inches across the dial of the movement? It can be repaired. The cost would be determined by what work it needs to be done to it. It is expensive though. Great find!

OP
OP
Guajino

Guajino

Feb 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added the size I hope... However, I can not open the back the item is fragile as it is. Do u know what year was created by the markings or the creator of it? Thanks

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The size shows it is a small dress watch. You have to open the back to get the answers you seek. Maker, when and where made, etc. To get a price on repairing it you will have to take it to a watch maker to get a quote. Good luck!

OP
OP
Guajino

Guajino

Feb 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do thanks for all the help "masterjedi"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread