duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, let me tell you my pocket watch story. My hunting buddy, Charlie Harris, and myself were water hunting looking for a ford crossing the confederates used after the battle of Missionary Ridge. Water hunting, if you haven't tried it, is a two man job. I ran the machine and Charlie did the retrieval. I sent Charlie down for a good target and he came up with a pocket watch. I told him to go back down as there was still a good target in the hole. He came up this time with two pocket watches. We stayed there for about three more hours and retrieved a total of 76 pocket watches. Now that was just too much of a mystery to let it stand. We got a book on pocket watches to see what we had. It was strange that out of 76 watches, none were of silver or gold, they were all brass. We ran them thru electrolysis and got the backs open. The watches were knock off, or what was called dollar watches and dated back to about 1900. What they were doing in the water is anyone's guess but dirty work must have surely been afoot. Maybe I can get Charlie to post a pic of the watches as they are all in one large display case. We never did get a civil war artifact that day. Oh well,.......

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
duggap said:
Well, let me tell you my pocket watch story. My hunting buddy, Charlie Harris, and myself were water hunting looking for a ford crossing the confederates used after the battle of Missionary Ridge. Water hunting, if you haven't tried it, is a two man job. I ran the machine and Charlie did the retrieval. I sent Charlie down for a good target and he came up with a pocket watch. I told him to go back down as there was still a good target in the hole. He came up this time with two pocket watches. We stayed there for about three more hours and retrieved a total of 76 pocket watches. Now that was just too much of a mystery to let it stand. We got a book on pocket watches to see what we had. It was strange that out of 76 watches, none were of silver or gold, they were all brass. We ran them thru electrolysis and got the backs open. The watches were knock off, or what was called dollar watches and dated back to about 1900. What they were doing in the water is anyone's guess but dirty work must have surely been afoot. Maybe I can get Charlie to post a pic of the watches as they are all in one large display case. We never did get a civil war artifact that day. Oh well,.......

That is INCREDIBLE! I'd love to see a photo of all of 'em--and I'm sure folks on here would love to see them as well. Wowzers!

-Buckleboy

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds all, bagged this one today 5-4-08

info i`ve also dug, up leads me to think it was made in the 30`s by e Ingraham company in bristol conn.

Any one seen on like it?

Attachments

• pic 012.jpg
    pic 012.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 955
  • pic 011.jpg
    pic 011.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 948

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks to Montana Jim's pics I've positively identified a small watch piece i dug last weekend.It's the tiny gear like piece in the middle. It was down about 5 inches but gave off a nice signal on my DFX. Before i dug it I called my brother over to swing his Explorer SE over it to see what he thought and he said whatever it was it was small...time to dig ;D The larger gear plate on the right came from the same general area as did the solid brass disc on the left. It is stamped FRANCE in the middle and not sure if it's part of a watch but is the exact size diameter as the gear plate so i thought they might go together...
Jerry

Attachments

• 100_0919.JPG
    100_0919.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 879

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
At first I was disappointed because I couldn't contribute since I've gotten rid of all of the watches I've found including a ladies Movado. But then I remembered my Seiko and here it is. I found it with a leather band but I replaced it with my Speidel band which I've had since the '60s. Lately, though, the band has been failing so I just got myself a new watch. This Seiko has an elegant look. I found it in Central Park just under the vegetation.

Oh, yeah, I also found this high quality Rolex Submariner replica with a great transparent back. It's worth many hundreds bucks.

Silver Fox

Attachments

• ROLEX 7.JPG
    ROLEX 7.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 852
  • ROLEX 2.JPG
    ROLEX 2.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 839
  • Seiko men\'s watch.JPG
    Seiko men\'s watch.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 848

finders.keepers

Oct 28, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
cool finds everyone.

Here are a couple of mine

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2879.jpg
    IMG_2879.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_2875.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 839

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
heres mine

I did throw away plenty of bits and pieces over the years.Also not in the pic is a modern elcheapo girls watch..
:coffee2:

Attachments

• pocketwatch coinsilver.jpg
    pocketwatch coinsilver.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 807
  • watch2.jpg
    watch2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 801
  • pocketwatch1.jpg
    pocketwatch1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 801
  • pocketwatch.jpg
    pocketwatch.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 820

Spiney Norma

Jan 5, 2007
Elkhart Indiana
Detector(s) used
One that will some day rule ze Vorld! HAHAHA!
Terrible picture....but an even worse pocket watch found in my sisters yard! :tongue3:

Attachments

• l_ea1fd3e9db15bb4cc2888648d6da036c[1].jpg
    l_ea1fd3e9db15bb4cc2888648d6da036c[1].jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 809
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some EXCELLENT watches! Both awesome, old pocket watches as well as valuable new ones. Well done!

Now keep those watches coming.

-Buckles

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
This was a fun bunch of gold watch cases to find. They were in a large group in a drained lake at the large city park here.... I surmised that they had been tossed by a burglar to avoid the cops or something like that.

23oct01finds.jpg

There are several nice pocket watch cases, lids, and parts of other watches. They were all stripped of their works leaving only the gold behind.

They were in an area about 10' X 20' 20 feet from the shore in what was 3 feet of water before the lake was drained. The mud was very soupy, most of these were 10-12" deep in the muck. The larger cases made faint but solid signals for my Explorer, and the smaller ones were found after I scraped the top layer of muck off and hunted through countless globs of mud as I was going. I looked like a pig in sh!t when I was done, but I was very happy.

Here is a pic of one at the bottom of a 12" deep hole:

parkpixwatchhole.jpg

They all looked dull and scuzzy like this before I cleaned the crap off them, but they cleaned up right pretty!

parkpixwatch.jpg

I've found 4 other gold pocket watches over the years in various places., so I have quite a nice collection of them. Thanks for looking and HH, Mike.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

All I can say is WOW. I've found lots of plated ones, but never a solid gold case. That's more gold there than most folks will find in their lifetime. The watch case on the bottom is Huge!

Nice work, buddy. This one gets a Standing Ovation from me. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this gold pocket watch case a few weeks back:

P4130765.jpg

P4130766.jpg

P4130767.jpg

Also found my first watch fob a two weeks ago but I don't have a picture available at this time. It was a fob of the US great seal.

The watch and fob were both lots of fun to find. The watch is from a farm field the the fob was in a park.

Happy watch hunting.

NJ

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde,

That is an IMPRESSIVE collection of watch pieces! And you get special Karma for returning the watch to its owner. :thumbsup: It's great to see those square pieces of a clock plate. They're everywhere! I just dug one of those today at a house site--it was in pieces, and I dug about four bits of it out before I realized what it was.

NJ,

That is one Sweet gold case! There's been enough gold posted on this thread to officially make me drool all over my keyboard now.

Keep those photos coming!

-Buckleboy

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
Hampden gold plated railroad watch produced in 1903. Attached is a silver 3 cent coin with no date. Found in a river with a bunch of other things in a ziplock bag. I looked into restoration but due to water damage, no one would touch it. And a citizen wrist watch.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 653

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
Sorry here's the Hampden watch, the above is an aluminum 1986 olympic pocket watch.

Attachments

• Pocket Watch I.jpg
    Pocket Watch I.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 654
  • pocket watch.jpg
    pocket watch.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 653
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chico,

So the three cent piece was attached to the watch as found? That is way cool!

stormfighter

Mar 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
DFX
It is not as nice as all the rest but it is my NJ donation to the cause.DAN

Attachments

• Pocket Watch.jpg
    Pocket Watch.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 630

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread