Gold Pocket Watch w/ Serial Number

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an old gold pocket watch case in a farm field. I'm trying to track down a date or time frame and any other information about it. To save myself some typing I've just attached the posting from Today's Finds. I think it is gold filled and from what I've read I think it may be a size 6.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,152418.0.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
NJ

Jul 13, 2012
Back from mid-1800s-1920s, there were thousands of pocket watch case makers. So it is impossible to date a watch case. The style is the only clue. There weren't records on case serial numbers. Based on your case's style, I'd say mid to late 1800s. It could be 10k solid gold....but for the dust cover to be only marked 10k makes me think it is 10k gold filled. Get it tested to be sure. Or look at the watch case closely. If you see any brassing (base metal showing from wear) it is gold filled. Also flick the cover with your finger. If you hear a "ring" it's gold filled. Also, if the covers are very firm and they don't have bend, it's gold filled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread