romulous13

Greenie
Mar 11, 2012
duarte, california
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After our visit to Calico Ghost Town, San Gabriel Valley Pinpointers relic hunted on the outskirts of town. Just south of Ghost Town is Calico Road, just south of this road is what looks like a white streak on a topography map Directions It is a road that led to a town that was part of the silver processing. It is about 1 mile south of the road. Along this road you will find a two inch pipe that serviced the town. The pipe was bent, then riveted along it's seam. This pipe is a relic in itself. You can follow the pipe with your detector along the way. You can tell you are there when you see pieces of wooden buildings sticking out of the ground. In town I recovered many nails and a tool that could have been a "punch" or "drift pin" ca. 1850-1890. We encountered a baby diamondback rattle snake. Boots are vital when desert hunting, first aid kit and knowledge of area habitats can be helpful. On the trail back my partner recovered a horseshoe also ca. 1850-1890. If you decide to hunt this area, Calico Ghost Town offers 20, 6 & 4 Man Rentals, RV and camping at great rates. Calico Ghost Town
Our next Ghost Town visit will be a day visit to El Doradoville in the San Gabriel Mountains. I will post a new thread prior to our visit in case anyone would like to come with us. Happy Hunting everyone.:hello: Gabriel

Attachments

• 192.JPG
    192.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 189.JPG
    189.JPG
    550.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 293

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rom, I love going out to Calico. Wish I would have known you were going, I would have joined you. I have jobs at Ft. Irwin so I'm usually out there every other month. There is a large area near where you mentioned that had been closed off by the BLM due to mercury contamination. Was this the area you were at?

El Doradoville is interesting. I've walked those grounds a few times while sluicing trying to imagine a small boom town being washed away by the floods. The history of California and these towns are a treasure of their own.

OP
OP
R

romulous13

Greenie
Mar 11, 2012
duarte, california
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area we were at had no health signs or keep out :dontknow:. We did hike alot of area though. As for future Ghost town hunts, we plan on hitting a few before the year is up. If your interested in Ghost towns check out this site Ghost Towns of California We'll be posting future hunts, hopefully you can join us. As for history of Ghost Towns, they are definately interesting. Happy Hunting Gabriel

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread