Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Zach,

I've had four: a TinyTech, Fisher, Whites Bullseye II and a Garrett Pro. The Garrett is by far my favorite but also the most expensive. The remaining order would be the Whites, the TinyTech, and the Fisher. The Whites is sturdy and vibrate-only. The TinyTech was audio-only and bigger than the rest but is still going. My least favorite was the Fisher. It was cheaply built and every time I used it I would turn down the sensitivity without realizing it due to the location of the knob. I sold it after a few months but still have the other three.

Hope this helps,

Kent

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the answer to both questions is yes. Yes, it's because it's a 12-in coil and that's why a pinpointer will help. If there's any error with say a 5-in coil it will be magnified using an 8-in coil and again with a 12-in coil. I've never used a 12 but I can pinpoint a LOT better with my small 5-in coils than with the standard 8's. Practicing pinpointing with your 12 will help but a handheld pinpointer can't hurt. To practice, bury some coins in your yard at different depths and mark them exactly with golf tees. That way when you pinpoint with your detector you can see the where it says the center of the target is relative to where the center ACTUALLY is.

Hope this helps,

Kent

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Zach I agree totally with Kent, although I have never had the Tiny Tek I have had the Whites, Pistol Probe which was to deep for a probe and the most expensive of all the hand helds. I have also have the Virbo Probe by Detector Pro ( the same folks as the Pistol Probe) and the my Favorite the Garrett Pro Pointer, in fact I have two of them in case one goes bad, but that a has not happened and I have been everywhere with it including do in the mud and in my humble opinion is the best built by far and is just the right depth for a pin pointer with is about 3 inches. The Virbo Probe is nice, well built and is water proof but only had a depth of only about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches if your lucky, also it interfered with my detectors.
So bottom line is the Garrett and a distant second is the Whites or VibroProbe.

OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TimC (North Alabama) said:
Hey Zach I agree totally with Kent, although I have never had the Tiny Tek I have had the Whites, Pistol Probe which was to deep for a probe and the most expensive of all the hand helds. I have also have the Virbo Probe by Detector Pro ( the same folks as the Pistol Probe) and the my Favorite the Garrett Pro Pointer, in fact I have two of them in case one goes bad, but that a has not happened and I have been everywhere with it including do in the mud and in my humble opinion is the best built by far and is just the right depth for a pin pointer with is about 3 inches. The Virbo Probe is nice, well built and is water proof but only had a depth of only about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches if your lucky, also it interfered with my detectors.
So bottom line is the Garrett and a distant second is the Whites or VibroProbe.

Thanks, im bidding on a whites(new) right now, its at 56 bucks....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a SunRay. Love the fact that I don't have to keep up with it. I went thru four or five BullsEye pinpointers. I really liked them and Whites would always quickly replace them when they no longer worked, but that got old and someone introduced me to the in-line SunRay and it's now my new favorite. :icon_thumright: Does add a little weight to the detector, but not an excessive amount.

Nana

OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
I have a SunRay. Love the fact that I don't have to keep up with it. I went thru four or five BullsEye pinpointers. I really liked them and Whites would always quickly replace them when they no longer worked, but that got old and someone introduced me to the in-line SunRay and it's now my new favorite. :icon_thumright: Does add a little weight to the detector, but not an excessive amount.

Nana

Thx Nana, What coil do you normally go with at BS? and in general.

Zach

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Eclipse DD a couple of years ago. I haven't changed since. (thanks WSD)
Love that I can hunt in places loaded with iron and still find a few keepers. Probably would be better if I changed back to the bigger coil when I hunt the fields, but I'm too lazy to. :tongue3: I bet if I took the coil cover off this DD it would have grass growing in there. :D Been there, done that. :D

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to get a Sunray(used) bidding got a little to high, so Garrett Pro Pointer(new) it is. Plus i got a great deal(under 100).

Thanks all, now... its either the 6x10DD, or 10D2...
lol

Zach

OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kent in AL said:
I believe the answer to both questions is yes. Yes, it's because it's a 12-in coil and that's why a pinpointer will help. If there's any error with say a 5-in coil it will be magnified using an 8-in coil and again with a 12-in coil. I've never used a 12 but I can pinpoint a LOT better with my small 5-in coils than with the standard 8's. Practicing pinpointing with your 12 will help but a handheld pinpointer can't hurt. To practice, bury some coins in your yard at different depths and mark them exactly with golf tees. That way when you pinpoint with your detector you can see the where it says the center of the target is relative to where the center ACTUALLY is.

Hope this helps,

Kent

Continue work with the 12, did help.. The found my first Musket ball...

Z

Attachments

• mininew.JPG
    mininew.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 359
  • mininew.JPG
    mininew.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 334

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread