MD treasure hunting club around Altoona area?

dtidwell

Greenie
Jun 18, 2016
Altoona, Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm VERY new to this, I haven't even bought an MD yet. I have been searching online and researching for what is best for my area. Altoona, from what I have read, use to be a coal mining town and also Indian area back in the day. I am mainly first finding a group that I could go along with and to find a detecting partner that I could trust and go along with. I learn very quickly and I learn best at hands on then just reading up.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff of Pa is a moderator here, a successful metal detectorist in your state, an expert on what would work best there and a very nice person, despite his somewhat interesting choices in music. PM (personal message) him and I'm pretty sure he can help...

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep a watch out for anyone MDing and stop and talk to them. Most MDers are pretty friendly and glad to pass on certain info - best detector, some good spots to try.
We have met a couple of our crew that way. Keep posting on TNET and someone will contact you. Do you have a detector in mind? Go ahead and get started, practice, dig and find.
Some body might stop with you and had be thinking about MDing but never got started. Try schools, playgrounds and such to get use to the detector. Be warned, this is very addictive.
After you find that first ring or silver, you will never be the same. I am always looking for a new place to try. Good luck, :skullflag:

OP
OP
D

dtidwell

Greenie
Jun 18, 2016
Altoona, Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep a watch out for anyone MDing and stop and talk to them. Most MDers are pretty friendly and glad to pass on certain info - best detector, some good spots to try.
We have met a couple of our crew that way. Keep posting on TNET and someone will contact you. Do you have a detector in mind? Go ahead and get started, practice, dig and find.
Some body might stop with you and had be thinking about MDing but never got started. Try schools, playgrounds and such to get use to the detector. Be warned, this is very addictive.
After you find that first ring or silver, you will never be the same. I am always looking for a new place to try. Good luck, :skullflag:

that's the thing, out of the 2 years I have lived in Altoona, Alabama, I haven't seen one MD coming through, which makes me excited because that means I have a chance of finding a butt load of stuff. I'm seriously excited. I'm waiting till after I get married in September though to get a MD, so I have time to figure out which I really like. I have been searching through kellycodetectors and finding a few MDs that I like. Fisher F2 DD, Fisher F44 weatherproof, and the Garrett Ace 400. Those are just a couple that I am liking so far.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a plan. Start a list of areas and contacts for them. Check around and see if there are any historical societies in the county, great place to get research that is already done. When you find some good items with a little history, see if they would like to put them on display, good way to get more property to hunt. So many detectors out now days and many of them are pretty good. Easy to use, good sounds and target ID are some key features now.

OP
OP
D

dtidwell

Greenie
Jun 18, 2016
Altoona, Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a plan. Start a list of areas and contacts for them. Check around and see if there are any historical societies in the county, great place to get research that is already done. When you find some good items with a little history, see if they would like to put them on display, good way to get more property to hunt. So many detectors out now days and many of them are pretty good. Easy to use, good sounds and target ID are some key features now.

from what I have read and researched, especially on the geology, and also have been told by the Mayor. Altoona was born from the miners that came from Altoona, Pennsylvania. The miners there came down here and made that little town. It has a lot of coal mines and abandoned coal mines that ain't used anymore. Also, before they arrived there was a lot of American Indians that was already settled here. So I could also find Indians relics/artifacts? :D which I'm excited about. Also, if I read the geology map right, there is a lot of limestone in my area as well. The population here is just under 1000. Everyone knows everyone by name, it's rare from my understanding that new people come to live in this area. So I'm pretty excited about all this and ready to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread