Where to hunt in Casa Grande AZ. New to the game. I got a new Delta 4000.

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gilbert- I may be of a little help to you. Did a 4 week Ariz. trip in jan-Feb. (i know next to nothing of a Delta 4000) . My Lobo ST worked great on the ground there, Many Arizonans use them as well ~ easy to use. if I were You , I would drive N. up the 10 to the 60 N , Before Wickenburg turn rt. on hwy 74 (short Distance) turn Left on Castle hot springs (N.) up a couple mi. give or take there is an unmistakable Very Red Hill on left . This isn't a bad place to Start , some guys Drywash it too. Watch out for claims Further in. I found a meteorite a few miles away from there - they can be where You find them as well (not as pinned down as the known ones are said to be. It is a known Gold Area. Ken . . :goldbar:

Last edited:
OP
OP

22gilbert22

Jul 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ken. Were I live in Casa Grande...I find clad coins...and thats about it. I'm pretty much looking for old coins.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Gilbert. I'm in maricopa and just getting started. I'm using a Garrett AT Gold. Plus I also have a Bounty Hunter 505 Pro (backup for kids). I'm looking for areas as well. I'd be willing to go hit some areas with you. If you'd be interested let me know.
I had bumped into a guy MDing in Coolidge and he told me of some finds he had. Was impressed with what he found.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I never detected in Arizona, though I lived there two years doing lots of hiking and rockhounding. For detecting in your own town, figure out where the oldest parts of town are (or used to be) as that's where you're likely to find the oldest coins, jewelry, other items. You can ask individual homeowners and business owners for permission to detect their property, very useful as even newer houses and shops sometimes stand where old ones used to. Offer to share your finds with the owner. Old schools, church picnic grounds, fairgrounds, rodeo or stock auction yards, train stations & train yards, stores, etc. Your library probably has journals or older books that give detailed info about local past activities of which there now may be no obvious trace. Books often have old photos of how the town looked! Also look for old building foundations in town and in the countryside. East of you near Globe are lots of old mining districts that may have interesting finds, but be careful as there are open mineshafts not easy to spot (I nearly fell down a central Arizona mine shaft when ducking behind a bush to pee!) Any parks and swimming areas in your town or county are worth detecting. Often people will stop by in a friendly way both to ask what you're finding and also to tell you about local places where they think good things may be buried. Even the really young people have good tips, not just the old folks. If I remember correctly, Arizona has strict laws against collecting ancient artifacts except on private property and with the owner's permission, i.e. collecting of historic artifacts is not permitted on public lands -- you should check on this to see if my memory is correct. I live in coastal California now, and have been detecting beaches and parks here, plus doing a lot of library & internet reading on local history to find out where the oldest things might now be waiting underground for me to detect. The oldest things I've found so far are a 1923 silver Peace dollar in a rough field that still had concrete building foundations, and a silver rosary dug beside a rotting old wood fence still standing next to a modern shopping center.
Have fun! Please post what you find. HH Andi

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah Arizona has the antiquities and artifact law which is anything over 100 years old. Funny cuz I've seen video of early 1900 coins and trade coins being taken.
Around here a lot of the farm lands were built over. And a lot of the homes built here is on land that had trailer homes on them since at least 50s-2000. This was an old town which was actually relocated from previous location in 1800s. If my memory serves me correctly.
I've spent a lot of time in the hills of globe but never detected them. Yeah there are a lot of shafts there too. I'm hoping to get there before too long.
I also go to Payson a couple days of the week. So hoping to hit some areas there. Also hoping to try and find a nugget or two. I need to check on the active claims around there so I'm not trespassing.
I'd like to hit Cali one of these days. Haven't been there in years with family. Hopefully can take trip during spring break for kids as a surprise trip. Plus I could try the sands of the beaches. Just not the wet parts. Didn't get my detector for the beaches. Since we don't have any.
Hopefully I can find more with the detector than I have with my eyes. Found a silver pendant in rocky point. Gave to the wife.
HH

OP
OP

22gilbert22

Jul 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me in casa grande az

Hey Gilbert. I'm in maricopa and just getting started. I'm using a Garrett AT Gold. Plus I also have a Bounty Hunter 505 Pro (backup for kids). I'm looking for areas as well. I'd be willing to go hit some areas with you. If you'd be interested let me know.
I had bumped into a guy MDing in Coolidge and he told me of some finds he had. Was impressed with what he found.

I like to go hunting with locals like you. Kinda bumbed out knowing Maricopa wells loacated on the Rez. Sounds like any good location is protected by some Law. I wanna find the the good spot.. Something a little diffrent than the local parks.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy to go out with ya. I've found some abandoned homes along casa grande maricopa freeway. I'll be going out there this weekend. Plus I've found some in Coolidge.

Ghostrider419

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to site. Casa Grande here too. Would love to get out and detect with friends. Just have to wait until its not 120' outside :-)

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Now if only I had a time machine to go back to the old mining towns before they closed them and bulldozed them to make room for the mine expansion. Metal detect the whole town! Unfortunately time machines haven't been invented yet so all those old coins, jewelry and whatever else along with the town is buried under giant mine dumps. Who knows maybe some was dug up and sent to the smelter and the workers are watching the ore go into the smelter. One says Hey there's goes a $20 gold coin! The other says Hey there goes a gold watch!

What a shame!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ugh. That makes me sick. Thinking about the lost history of that. If you had a time machine. All your relics would be pristine condition.
Man this heat! I got up early to finish running some dirt through my highbanker. Finished around 1 and it was HOT!!!
So now I live in Mesa and have got lots of parks to hit. I go to maricopa Friday and Saturday to do my pools early. So I'm up to doing a hunt anytime. Unless I'm up prospecting.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd actually like to go to the silver mines around maricopa. I just don't know much about history or if its still being worked. So if anybody knows of them I'd like to know more. I'll start checking it out though if anybody would be interested. Or head towards Florence or south from there. If your detectors are waterproof we could do a salt river hunt/clean up. Lol

OP
OP

22gilbert22

Jul 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thxz

I usually MD on sundays call me if u like to go.
Gilbert
520-450-9888

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread