Sonoma County California

Kinney Greenhouse

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone from Sonoma County California?

We just purchased our first Metal Detectors and are super excited, MXT Pro and Coinmaster Pro. We have a local club, Coin Poppers, but looks like they wont be meeting until 03/13 ....

So.... what do we do in the meantime? :read2:

I have been reading, researching and have even visited the geneology library in Santa Rosa. We don't have the Civil War and we aren't in the Mother Lode but we do have some pretty interesting history.

Anyone ever get together and go out hunting? Anyone share Stories? We would love to meet more people in our area that have the same interests as we do.

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am planning on hitting some beaches in Sonoma county sometime soon. My brother and I just got into metal detecting. Have you been to any beaches yet?

OP
OP
K

Kinney Greenhouse

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funkapotamus said:
I am planning on hitting some beaches in Sonoma county sometime soon. My brother and I just got into metal detecting. Have you been to any beaches yet?

Hi! Are you from Placerville? We just came back from a short camping trip up there! We had a great time and did a little detecting, but mostly digging. I am ready to go back up there.... I've got the itch and it's not just the poison oak. ;)

We just got into metal detecting too, but have gone out to the ocean and the river once. Went out to Goat Rock and found a railroad spike, alot of garbage, coins, and ton o' pulltabs... the railroad started there to move rock from the coast to the inland areas, so I thought it would be a great place to check out.

We went to Monte Rio Beach, http://www.mrrpd.org/, when we got back from Lotus.... found ALOT of garbage and stuff that was probably washed up from the flood.

Have you done any research? Any ideas of places to check out? When are you guys heading this way?

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have hit some parks in Sac., and I have gone to some creeks that the 49ers used to hit. I wanna get down to the ocean in the next week or 2. Any ideas on the good beaches in your county? I have been lookin into shipwrecks in your area. Seems like there has been more then a few.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kinney, I have hit that beach in Monte Rio, many times, but like all beaches along the river, its full of pull tabs and flood junk. Found a nice belt buckle, made out of indian head nickles, but misplaced it now. I dont live in the area, but will be coming back in a couple weeks. Sonoma county beaches are not the best for coins, mostly pull tabs and nails from BBQ's. I dont know where all the coins went, that I lost in the high school years, but we had a lot of parties on the coast, and not closed at nights like now. Some of the parking lots I did pretty good at, the sandy ones.

OP
OP
K

Kinney Greenhouse

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai said:
Hi Kinney, I have hit that beach in Monte Rio, many times, but like all beaches along the river, its full of pull tabs and flood junk. Found a nice belt buckle, made out of indian head nickles, but misplaced it now. I dont live in the area, but will be coming back in a couple weeks. Sonoma county beaches are not the best for coins, mostly pull tabs and nails from BBQ's. I dont know where all the coins went, that I lost in the high school years, but we had a lot of parties on the coast, and not closed at nights like now. Some of the parking lots I did pretty good at, the sandy ones.

Hi MaiPenrai! I was going to ask about flood zones and river beaches here... The Russian River raises every winter and it will generally always cover the beaches. Based on the speed of the river, do you think the river is flowing so fast that the beaches get 'cleaned' out after the first or second time it raises? Anyone else have experiences in other river areas? Is it possible that the actual river/water may hold better finds?

OP
OP
K

Kinney Greenhouse

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funkapotamus said:
We have hit some parks in Sac., and I have gone to some creeks that the 49ers used to hit. I wanna get down to the ocean in the next week or 2. Any ideas on the good beaches in your county? I have been lookin into shipwrecks in your area. Seems like there has been more then a few.

Hi Funkapotamus! We are learning and new, I just got my detector beginning of Feb., but as far as more popular touristy beaches... Goat Rock, Doran Beach, Duncan's Landing, Salmon Creek, Dillon Beach, Lawson's Landing area.... some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head. These get alot of tourists during the summer. When you come, you'll find a lot of vista points, or super steep trail terrain that the average family wouldn't be trekking, but you will also see where people do go....

I would love to hear what you have found on shipwrecks in our area too. I haven't really found much, but haven't had that much time to do as much research as I should

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its really hard for me to say, does the river bring or take, but the stuff has to go somewhere! I dont really even try to figure out where things might have gone, the beaches are not that big, so just detect the whole area, but in the bushes is always a good place, where people go to be private. Most of the beaches are gravel, so after a few dozen holes to retrive a beer can, I stop digging the deep ones. The beaches at the ocean, I usually ask the ranger before I go detecting. Further down the coast is Stinsons beach, which I heard, you cannot detect there, and they will take your machine, but I have, before I knew its not allowed, and found lots of clad. Sonoma county beaches are not like warm water beaches, they are big, cold, dangerous, not too many people go in the water, and the brakers will get you if your not careful, I doubt there is much in the surf line anyway, there are warning sings on the beach, for a reason. I usually just hit the parking area, and along the path way over the dunes, and any places that people have been partying. Since there are no concessions on the beaches, there is no need use money, so the coins usually stay in the pocket. Beautiful ocean, but not much for detecting. Tot lots are much better, but they are hit several times a day too.

zcmacphearson

Mar 28, 2012
Petaluma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all,

It was funny readin this thread as I thought most of this forum had been sitting dormant for what looked to be along time. I've been detecting for a while and have an average success rate with all around prospecting. I moved to Petaluma about two years ago. And havent got a chance to get out there and do much 'treasure' hunting. Mostly just outtings with my two kids.

The reason this thread caught my eye was someone in Sonoma County looking for other enthusiasts, and that prior to moving to Petaluma we had lived in Garden Valley / Georgetown. (as funkapotomus knows) thats just up 193 from Placerville. Now I havent got any success stories to tell about Sonoma county. But I spent 5 years living on the Georgetown divide and I know the fire trails and townsites, and abandoned mines pretty well. In fact in those five years I lived on the divide I had narrowed in on some very successful spots for prospecting. I've scoured the hills around from Mosquito to Rucky-Chuck to Bottlehill and dozens of others. For those five years I was blessed with being a stay at home dad, and had a fare degree of time to kill and endless areas of (my favorite) California Mining History all around up there..

I'm rambling... but my point was that as summer is getting closer and my oldest son is at the age where I can trust his knowledge around in the woods. We are planning a multiple day prospecting trip back to El Dorado County in early June. I don't know whether or not anyone wants to try and coordinate something, and meet-up and do some MDing and Prospecting..? I know where the gold is you just gotta be willing to dig, and most importantly have fun doing it.

Anyhow get back to me anyone who's interested we can talk more...

Zach.

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my brother and I are finally going to the beach. We are planning on detecting Doran Beach, on April 8. We hope to get there around noon. I know this is an old post, but I'll let you guys know how we do. zcmapherson let me know when your up in the area, I would go out hunt some gold. Well happy easter.

target022

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2011
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to be at Doran beach on the 21st to do some crabbing, probably bring my detector along as well. Did you have any luck when you were there?

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at Doran for a couple hours, then went up to Salmon creek for a couple hours. Found clad, fishing weights, and some cheap jewelry. I went on 19th just a couple days ago. Let me know how you do if you get some detecting in.

silverdimes

Nov 11, 2012
Russian River area
Detector(s) used
1, MP3 PRO
2, Garrette AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the beach's are pretty much full of trash not to much to find but with a little local knowledge there are places to find the old silver coins and relics I would love to go out sometime maybe we can share some tips and locations to look for the cool stuff.
good luck rainy season is great time to find stuff the ground isn't so damn hard. I an disabled so I pretty much stay within the 8 inch depth not really into digging huge holes. I found a Spanish american war buckle last year it was us marines 1890 and 1820 barrel tap nice bronze peace.

We just purchased our first Metal Detectors and are super excited, MXT Pro and Coinmaster Pro. We have a local club, Coin Poppers, but looks like they wont be meeting until 03/13 ....

I have been reading, researching and have even visited the geneology library in Santa Rosa. We don't have the Civil War and we aren't in the Mother Lode but we do have some pretty interesting history.

Anyone ever get together and go out hunting? Anyone share Stories? We would love to meet more people in our area that have the same interests as we do.

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to the forum but I am old to Sonoma co. The water is too cold for swimmers at the coast and there are no concessions unlike southern cal. I have found coins and jewelry at Stinson beach but have found far more cash money there.It is so darn windy that dollar bills get pinned up against fences and such. The Russian river is very seasonal, also mostly cold weather plus the fact is that it is not particularly high tone so you will not find a lot of fancy stuff. Did I mention that at the river wedding bands are scarcer than children.

joed

Dec 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to network Santa Rosa Ca. area

Looking forward to networking once I get a detector as a holiday gift for my wife. Still want to shop local. any Ideas. joed

Vpbrian

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one interested I'm meeting around Santa Rosa and checking some spots? I'm still new less then month in

mini14user

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Santa Rosa too. What spots were you looking at? I did Some MDing in Forestville. Just some trash in creek off of River Road. Rebar and a 1970s Era coors can. I want to try it again but hit the main river line after a hot day.

Vpbrian

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've checked spring lake been finding a lot off the trails , I really wanna meet some people and do some digs with others. And check out new areas as I'm still very much new to this

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread