So, does anyone metal detect in Colorado anymore?

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Still a ghost town I guess in ALL of the Colorado areas on here? Maybe I'm in the wrong Colorado forum? Heeeelllllloooo! Echo, echo, echo....

Well in case someone from the Longmont / Loveland area is around I got the urge to dig in some dirt if you are up for it. It is snowing right now (go figure), but hey it's Colorado. Tomorrow could be sunny and warm(ish). I'm up for just about any type of hunting, parks, fields, etc. Anyway, if not now maybe someone will see this post in a year or two and give me a holler!

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent! Have fun out there [emoji41]

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a good club in Colorado Springs, the Pikes Peak adventure league. But that is a ways from you. If your up in the Cripple Creek area look me up. Happy Hunting! Colorado

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
There is a good club in Colorado Springs, the Pikes Peak adventure league. But that is a ways from you. If your up in the Cripple Creek area look me up. Happy Hunting! Colorado

Thanks digginthe1. Yeah, Colorado Springs is a bit of a trek from here. But it's gonna start snowing around here and the frozen ground might give me an excuse to take some 2-3 dayers down south.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm near gunnison and I detect when I can. I come across alot of old cabin ruins when I'm prospecting and I like to detect those virgin spots. Their trash piles usually contain the best treasures I've found, or directly under the log walls. I can spend all day doing that and the history buff in me really gets the fire going with every find. I still have a few cabins I need to get back to with the detector someday but time is always too short.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice welcome for ya!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
I'm near gunnison and I detect when I can. I come across alot of old cabin ruins when I'm prospecting and I like to detect those virgin spots. Their trash piles usually contain the best treasures I've found, or directly under the log walls. I can spend all day doing that and the history buff in me really gets the fire going with every find. I still have a few cabins I need to get back to with the detector someday but time is always too short.

Finding an old homestead is certainly a good thing. Finding the trash dump, outhouse, etc on that site is the "prize"! Usually old bottles, coins, relics, and (hopefully) a cache might be our reward when we dig through that old trash. God, this is a great hobby! :)

I have been scanning some older parks near where I live but so far the pickins are slim. I am researching and will continue to do so over the winter to prepare for the spring. It is always nice though to have others who enjoy the hobby that share in the fun.

Neotox428

Nov 3, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Teknetics Omega 8500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the posts are kinda old here...hope someone is still around. I am new to the hobby and was thinking on going to the local parks here in the springs to just kind of practice and learn. Any advice or info so I don't get in trouble would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the posts are kinda old here...hope someone is still around. I am new to the hobby and was thinking on going to the local parks here in the springs to just kind of practice and learn. Any advice or info so I don't get in trouble would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

About a month or 2 ago they scraped off a layer in the park in old Colorado City. I don't hunt parks much, but be friendly, cover your holes and go when there are not a lot of people around. I think those soccer fields off 21st Street would be nice. When I was learning I sure liked under the swingsets. It's easy to get a feel for what coins sound like. Maybe the older parks would be good for some silver or jewelry. Good luck! I would be eyeballing the old houses for people outside to talk to!!!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had to use my detector today. I was out chopping up fatwood stumps and the snow was so deep it knocked my tomahawk out of the loop on the leg of my coveralls.
I knew the area it fell but it had sunk to the bottom.
Thank goodness for the F2!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finding an old homestead is certainly a good thing. Finding the trash dump, outhouse, etc on that site is the "prize"! Usually old bottles, coins, relics, and (hopefully) a cache might be our reward when we dig through that old trash. God, this is a great hobby! :)

I have been scanning some older parks near where I live but so far the pickins are slim. I am researching and will continue to do so over the winter to prepare for the spring. It is always nice though to have others who enjoy the hobby that share in the fun.

They are mostly just small cabin ruins around Taylor Park and such.
Just old prospector or trapping cabins never can be sure. We find them randomly with no rhyme or reason.
Usually there's only a course or two of logs left barely making a square and they would be easy to walk right by.
We've found an old shovel head, tons of old style different solder seam cans and some Granitewear with the enamel still on. No jars full of gold dust yet.
I even found a Dr Price Baking Cream can under the wall with paper still on it once so frigging cool!

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are mostly just small cabin ruins around Taylor Park and such.
Just old prospector or trapping cabins never can be sure. We find them randomly with no rhyme or reason.
Usually there's only a course or two of logs left barely making a square and they would be easy to walk right by.
We've found an old shovel head, tons of old style different solder seam cans and some Granitewear with the enamel still on. No jars full of gold dust yet.
I even found a Dr Price Baking Cream can under the wall with paper still on it once so frigging cool!

Is this going to be the year of the not lost Murdie gold lode?

I spent One week in July of 2021 in Taylor Park ...it was a spur of the moment idea for different scenery and some light prospecting, but more so as to get a lay of the topography and geology there.

I did my land owner ship and claims research the day before I left...no satellite imagery or geology research though...I put Pitkin, Tin cup and Illinois creek on my I don't want to go there list and left the next morning.

I spent Four days moseying along the length of Spring Creek road, then finished the week out camped down Texas creek...Texas creek was more crowded then I had a taste for, and the poo hats that kept flying their drone over, in a circular pattern around and even hovering over my camp site soured the taste even more.

I never even heard of Murdie's "lost" gold lode until after that week...I can proclaim to be a expert on where it's not though...

No Colorado for me this summer...late August will be two weeks in New Mexico and then on to Arizona for the winter...

Here's to heavy pans and the best of luck in your search.

franko8400

Feb 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a ghost town I guess in ALL of the Colorado areas on here? Maybe I'm in the wrong Colorado forum? Heeeelllllloooo! Echo, echo, echo....

Well in case someone from the Longmont / Loveland area is around I got the urge to dig in some dirt if you are up for it. It is snowing right now (go figure), but hey it's Colorado. Tomorrow could be sunny and warm(ish). I'm up for just about any type of hunting, parks, fields, etc. Anyway, if not now maybe someone will see this post in a year or two and give me a holler!
I am very interested in meeting and detecting with interested parties in the Longmont area. Let’s exchange some email and set something up.
My name is Frank and live in east Longmont by st vrain park.
Email [email protected]

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this going to be the year of the not lost Murdie gold lode?

I spent One week in July of 2021 in Taylor Park ...it was a spur of the moment idea for different scenery and some light prospecting, but more so as to get a lay of the topography and geology there.

I did my land owner ship and claims research the day before I left...no satellite imagery or geology research though...I put Pitkin, Tin cup and Illinois creek on my I don't want to go there list and left the next morning.

I spent Four days moseying along the length of Spring Creek road, then finished the week out camped down Texas creek...Texas creek was more crowded then I had a taste for, and the poo hats that kept flying their drone over, in a circular pattern around and even hovering over my camp site soured the taste even more.

I never even heard of Murdie's "lost" gold lode until after that week...I can proclaim to be a expert on where it's not though...

No Colorado for me this summer...late August will be two weeks in New Mexico and then on to Arizona for the winter...

Here's to heavy pans and the best of luck in your search.

Did you go up Deadman's Gulch off of Spring Creek on the Harmel's side?

I've been wanting to go up there and prospect but haven't had the chance.
Supposedly some miners from Washington Gulch were killed by Indians up there after heading home for the upcoming winter.
I never heard if they struck gold up there or not but I can't find anything on it.

HeavyMetalThunder

Aug 5, 2015
Texas/Colorado/Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you go up Deadman's Gulch off of Spring Creek on the Harmel's side?

I've been wanting to go up there and prospect but haven't had the chance.
Supposedly some miners from Washington Gulch were killed by Indians up there after heading home for the upcoming winter.
I never heard if they struck gold up there or not but I can't find anything on it.
I Didn't go up Deadman's gulch...I kept my exploring to the East of spring creek rd.

I don't recall if it was Deadman's gulch or farther up by FR 744 that I attempted, but I turned back pretty quick, do to many people (2021 covid idiots) and did my exploring just on the east side, do to almost no people.

Mostly Wheelbarrow gulch and Dustin gulch was where I camped just north of Matchless mountain...not much in the way of geology there that said "gold", mostly carbonate...

I wasn't a full scale prospecting trip...more of a light recon just to get out in different scenery and relax...some of the better geology I had seen, but didn't check out, was just north/ north west of the Dam, there was at one time placer workings at the south west end o the reservoir in that vicinity too...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread