Opa Locka/Miami area

SorryDangDog

Jan 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame, not a single reply in 9 days. I have just started MD'ing and really only have the beaches in mind right now. I grew up around Miami and a lot of the really old stuff is either Native American or in areas that I would not recommend going alone or unarmed. I imagine best opportunities would be getting permission on old private properties that would be safe and that is probably a long term process.

Maybe others that feel the same way just haven't replied or don't want to give away the precious few, safe, public places to hunt in Miami.....not sure. :dontknow:

It's a long shot but very near Opa Locka is Amelia Earhart Park, not sure if it is county, city or regional and what their rules are and it's been there forever. It used to be known locally as "Government Property" and had ammo bunkers and such located there....we played there as kids back in the Cold War days.

Not sure I would do it alone now, unless I was carrying and maybe not even then wearing headphones.

This is Spring Break, maybe hit the beaches if you can find a parking spot. Go to Haulover Beach, may be your easiest bet.

Good luck,

Terry

OP
OP
ce550av8r

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Thanks, Terry. I went down to Bill Baggs State Park on Key Biscayne for a few hours - there was a father/son hitting the water just off the beach as I was checking parts of the beach by the lighthouse. Lots of garbage. I hit North Beach today which had less metal garbage but not a lot of targets either. Both days I found pennies - the oldest was 1976. I was actually thinking of hitting Amelia Earhart but thought like you did - probably not a great idea alone. Happy hunting!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amelia Airheart is safe, but it don't think its legal to detect there. All the bureaucracy is killing our hobby down here.

zburt5

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
Coral Springs
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of Mountain Biking at Amelia and it is safe, but the MTB part is a dump site and way to much trash. New to MD so sorry can't help with locations. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread