Broward County Parks?

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also trying to figure this out
I was just retrieving at a park that i have been hunting all week long without an issue
and a guy came up in a golf cart and said that I cannot dig here. And then he litterally drove away
in his golf cart. Wasn't wearing any uniform but he obviously was picking up the trash cans.
I can't find anything concrete about the actual law. I'm in Pompano Beach BTW.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no laws against using a metal detector in Broward county parks. I haven't had any real issues yet. Every now and then one of the workers may tell you your not allowed to detect. When they do I just move on rather than force the issue. I haven't detected any parks in a couple years now though. I've been at the beach mainly. One thing you don't want to do is go around asking people who work at the parks. This can open a can of worms that none of us want opened. It may lead to them adding a rule that does forbid detecting. If your gonna detect the parks, I would advise doing it when there are less people there. Early mornings during a weekday are usually best to avoid people. Here are the rules and regs of Broward parks- Rules & Regulations

PS- I just wanted to stress my last statement about
asking people for permission to detect the parks...
DON'T DO IT! Or we will end up like Dade county with a specific rule mentioning metal detecting.

Here is the Dade county rule that prohibits md'ing in parks- http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/rules-regulations.asp

rule no.8 line "E" states.

• (e) No person shall make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting, or other means or utilize metal detectors or shall construct or erect any building or structure of whatever kind, whether permanent or temporary, or run or string any public utility into, upon, across or over any parks, recreation and open space lands unless authorized by permit or easement
Good luck with getting a permit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up, i don't plan on asking. What a stupid regulation for Dade county, its a shame because Dade has more history than Broward.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up, i don't plan on asking. What a stupid regulation for Dade county, its a shame because Dade has more history than Broward.
I agree with both the stupidity f it and the fact that Dade has a better established history than Broward. I didn't even realize they were off limits to be honest. Not until you mentioned it. That's why I looked it up to check for myself and sure enough, there it is in black and white. I wonder about city parks in different areas around Dade.

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its amazing how we have zero voices in politics representing our rights.

Last edited:

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a few friends who work for various parks and rec depts.

Don't ask to MD in a park, wait to be told to stop and pleasantly comply. Would you ask to toss a cracker to a squirrel or a bird? Feeding wildlife is illegal in parks. They don't care if you throw crackers to Squirrels, they just don't want you feeding bears and coyotes. (It's Alligators down here in FL.)

Rules like Dade county's come about by people trying to argue that they have a right to dig holes in the park grounds when the municipal Code clearly says you cant. If you make yourself a headache for a govt. employee they will just make the rules more specific to apply to you.

CPD1302

Greenie
Jun 2, 2013
South Florida (East Coast)
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 3500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One thing for sure and 2 for certain. DO NOT dig in State Parks... They frown on that. If there is a beach front the usual rules apply. Why are there so many haters?

CPD1302

Greenie
Jun 2, 2013
South Florida (East Coast)
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 3500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the 411. I see a couple of gray areas that could be construed against detecting in the Broward rules. You are correct. Don't ask and politely move on if confronted.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing for sure and 2 for certain. DO NOT dig in State Parks... They frown on that. If there is a beach front the usual rules apply. Why are there so many haters?
Some coastal state parks do not allow metal detecting at all, some will allow it between the shoreward toe of the dunes and the mean high water line, but only for modern objects. Detecting on state lands is different and the removal of historical objects (anything over 50 years old, I know, I know, ridiculous) from state lands is prohibited. Some state parks will only allow detecting for personal items that are specified as lost in a particular area. If counties or cities lease coastal lands from the state, they are required to abide by state laws. Every state park will have an entry station with a ranger on duty, so always ask first. This applies to the sand, not the water. As for metal detecting in the water (state parks only), all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered state sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is NOT against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it. I know it sounds stupid and it is but that is the way the law is written.

Florida puts kibosh on sandy treasure hunting « Watchdog.org

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread