Florida metal detecting laws

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to figure out the current laws on metal detecting in Florida...
I live in Jacksonville and plan on getting a detector and go into the ocean. No more than shoulder height. Also was planning on detecting at the beach dry sand. I also live near a state park where I thought about going to trails or seeing if there's any old sites there.
Seems when I google search I get conflicting results so figured the experts here could give the correct answer as to which I can and cannot do. Thanks in advance for ur time and any replies!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to find the HEAD Ranger for The State Park that you would like to detect and ask before you detect.
The head ranger will inform you as to THAT particular parks rules.

OP
OP
C

ChaseJax

Nov 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about detecting on beaches and in the water at beach?

D

Greenie
Jan 5, 2007
New York , Suffolk County
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Cal. , CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the beach shouldn't be a problem but in the water it seems there are a lot of different views. The last thing I read was shallow water ,walking not diving should be OK in most of Fla. .If you check U Tube there's lots of videos of people in chest high water. Someone else posted that from Sebastian inlet south it's frowned upon .

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this is a older thread but wanted to mention the Salvage Rights thing. If by chance you find any old(as in old I mean pirate old) coin keep it on the DL. If it is found in the water there are groups that have salvage rights to those wrecks. If found on dry sand it's a different story. A coworker of mine found one on dry sand and thought "NO WAY THIS IS REAL". It was real and he was told it was most likely due to beach replenishment/dredging.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been told by someone that WATER detecting on Floridas cost is off limits not just for the salvage rights to a perticular ship but the entire state. Tried to find these rules anywhere with zero luck. If true it's pure bull. Having salvage rights to a perticular ship should not give someone rights to the entire coastline including the gulf side of the state. What I am being told its from where the tide hits the shore to 3 miles out. You think somewhere it would be clarified.

Last edited by a moderator:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on going to the Tampa area in Aug. 2018 for a wedding, of course I plan on packing a detector with me, any problem on the beaches in that area? Have never been to Florida.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on going to the Tampa area in Aug. 2018 for a wedding, of course I plan on packing a detector with me, any problem on the beaches in that area? Have never been to Florida.

No problem as long as you do not hunt the State Parks. Best hunting will be on the gulf coast beaches not Tampas beaches, Clearwater down to St Pete Beaches are the closest to Tampa.

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live in St. Pete and am about 20 minutes from the beach. There are many small towns from Clearwater down to Pass A Grille beach which is almost a constant line of accessible beaches. Pick a nice parking area and have fun. Some Municipal beaches like Madeira Beach will not let you metal detect in within the boundaries of the parking area and beach. That being said, they are very nice and will just ask you not to metal detect right there but you can just outside the Municipal beach area where the beach continues for miles in ether direction and detect. No problem parking in the Municipal lot and using their beach access and walking outside the Municipal beach area and detecting. There are many small communities up and down the beach and all have their own rules but all they would say is just move down a bit to detect if it is even an issue. I normally go out between 7-8 am and leave before noon. The morning is the best time to find beaches empty except for the constant line of walkers near the water line. Also, there is often a wonderful breeze that help keep you cool. Have fun!

shelbackddg39

Aug 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am i contact with the florida division of resource wait for thier reply on searching from low tide to 10 ft off the stuaart to sabassion inlet well let you know what they say they make the rules and permits for the salvage companoes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread