Getting Back Into Hobby - Gwinnett County, Georgia (Need Advice)

mendenpen77%

May 10, 2016
Norcross, GA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, everyone. It has been a few years since I have detected and believe it or not I'm not sure how to go about getting back into the hobby in regards to where I can go legally to detect (of course, I do realize that to detect on private property you need permission and you can't detect on federal land). Can you believe that? I have much more paranoia these days about detecting than I did years ago because of "signs" on property (even schools) and the laws I have read about online. I live in Norcross, GA, which is in Gwinnett County. I am aware of the Stone Mountain Treasure's Hunters Club (went to a few meetings many years ago).

I would love to go and hunt with someone who is more knowledgeable and connected in the area ! I just need to just get comfortable with the sport again and be taught the "do's" and "don'ts". I have a White's DFX and a Detector Pro underwater detector.

For example, can you detect on Gwinnett County owned land like a park or do you need permission? I've watched a lot of metal detecting videos online and am just dying to get back involved in this hobby. Another hobby that I have is "road biking" and have recently bought a new road bike on e-Bay. I am thoroughly enjoying doing this but want to start metal detecting again and find some jewelry or old coins.

Any ideas or advice would be truly appreciated.

Tom

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't detect on "Federal land"?? I know there are restrictions for the areas around gov't buildings/military installations, and some parks don't want digging, but Federal lands are STILL "public" lands - or at least they're "supposed" to be.

I'm not a "real" MDer yet, so don't take my word for anything - just spoutin' off! :thumbsup:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact your Parks and Recreation Department for rules and regulations regarding detecting on city owned property. Here in Dougherty Co, Ga. it is legal to detect on all city/county owned property. I just went online and could find nothing prohibiting metal detecting in Norcross City parks or Gwinnett County parks. I would still contact each authority to see exactly what they have to say.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't detect on "Federal land"?? I know there are restrictions for the areas around gov't buildings/military installations, and some parks don't want digging, but Federal lands are STILL "public" lands - or at least they're "supposed" to be.

I'm not a "real" MDer yet, so don't take my word for anything - just spoutin' off! :thumbsup:

No I'm 98% sure all Federal Land is off limits , Including Nat , Parks , State Parks, Core of Engineers land, National Forests , State ones in GA as well.
A permit maybe??? could be got for some lands but it's usually only good for Swimming areas .

You might find a piece of pottery or something I suppose.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, everyone. It has been a few years since I have detected and believe it or not I'm not sure how to go about getting back into the hobby in regards to where I can go legally to detect (of course, I do realize that to detect on private property you need permission and you can't detect on federal land). Can you believe that? I have much more paranoia these days about detecting than I did years ago because of "signs" on property (even schools) and the laws I have read about online. I live in Norcross, GA, which is in Gwinnett County. I am aware of the Stone Mountain Treasure's Hunters Club (went to a few meetings many years ago).

I would love to go and hunt with someone who is more knowledgeable and connected in the area ! I just need to just get comfortable with the sport again and be taught the "do's" and "don'ts". I have a White's DFX and a Detector Pro underwater detector.

For example, can you detect on Gwinnett County owned land like a park or do you need permission? I've watched a lot of metal detecting videos online and am just dying to get back involved in this hobby. Another hobby that I have is "road biking" and have recently bought a new road bike on e-Bay. I am thoroughly enjoying doing this but want to start metal detecting again and find some jewelry or old coins.

Any ideas or advice would be truly appreciated.

Tom

Hey man
It Sux these days We Detecting (Tulip Planters) have to worry about so many law's these day's.

IMO Detect where you want , Just use Common Sense .

If I had Deep pockets I would have a Lawyer just for Detecting Issues.

Public land should be "Public" as long as you use proper Techniques.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions