• Pearl Harbor Google Earth.jpg
    Pearl Harbor Google Earth.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4,973

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO
My step-uncle(still living) was coming out of Schofield Barracks and took a piece of Japanese shrapnel which he still carries in his body. He has to carry verification when he goes thru metal detectors. It was an unforgiveable attack but one that brought this country together. And I feel we've gone downhill since.

mad max

Jul 2, 2006
Ohio
Look on the other side of Ford Island and you will see the remains of the Battleship Utah. She was used as a target vessel. She was also sunk Sunday Dec 7th. Around 50 of her crew are still on board.

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres what I got when I looked it up today. Whats up with that???

Attachments

• Arizona Memorial.jpg
    Arizona Memorial.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 15,355

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I used to live on Ford Island in the late 80s and early 90s. Had to take a ferry across to it then, theres a bride across now. The Battle Ship Arizona was right off my back yard and as someone said the Utah is on the other side of the island also sunk that day and lives lost. It was called the forgotten battleship. Just to the west of Ford Island in a WW 2 Muntions loading area that also has some sunk blown up wrecks from that day as well. The Missourri is also docked now at the island.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Went to Hawaii for vacation in 1986. We went to visit the Arizona Memorial. You have to take a boat ride out to it, I assume you still do. Kind of an odd ride out as the boat taking us out had almost all Japanese people on it. Talk about a quiet ride. It felt kind of strange, only a few Americans and the rest Japanese. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. There is a heavy Japanese population there and they were always respectful. I think I almost felt upset that they were going out to the memorial. I looked at all of them but no one looked back. They were just kind of looking out across the water.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Once while I lived there in Hawaii an elderly japanese man walked up with a cane asking myself and a friend where he could find the arizonia memorial. My buddy quickly piped "right where the he## you left it. I felt sorry for the old man for as a war veteran I know both sides have loses, following orders and trying to not get killed yourself. He as I learned was one of the flight deck personnel on one of the carriers. His entire family was lost when we dropped the "A" and bombed Nagasakia roughly 4 years later.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
When I was stationed in Hawaii I made 4 trips out to the Arizona memorial. It is certainly a eerie feeling there. You can feel those brave souls with you as you are out there. At least I felt like I could.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy....nice picture, my mothers uncle was stationed on her when she got hit, he was one of the lucky ones, he was top side and got blown into the water and survived. Here is a pic of what she looked liked in 1939 in Hampton Roads, Virginia.

Attachments

• Arizona.jpg
    Arizona.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,408

Crazy Greek

Nov 12, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident
Something you guys might want to look at and a story not too many are familiar with. The reason I bring it up is because the Utah has been mentioned here.

I was in and out of Pearl many times while in the Navy. Being on the navigation detail for over 4 years on a destroyer and navigating the ship in and out of every port in the Pacific was indeed thrilling. None of the ports we visited ever meant as much to me as Pearl on the island of Oahu.

During the Japanese bombing of Pearl, the U.S.S. Utah was sank on the other side of Ford Island. It is (much like the Arizona) a rusting memorial now that few people take the time to visit.However, the Utah holds much more than the remains of 54 sailors that went down with their ship.

"Chief Yeoman Albert T. D. Wagner had the ashes of one of his twin daughters, Nancy Lynne, in his locker aboard ship on that fateful day of December 7, 1941."

Read the story of "BABY NANCY" here.........http://www.ussutah.org/wagner.htm

More can be found here.........http://www.ussutah.org/starbulletin.htm

So you see........there IS a baby girl, guarded by 54 of the Navy's finest, laying at rest in Pearl Harbor, entombed within U.S.S. Utah.

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
In 1974 I was on the USS Enterprise. We were tied up right across from the Arizona. I sat on the stern one night for about an hour looking out over the Memorial. It was very quiet and VERY eerie. I'll never forget it.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
My Uncle was on board one of the ships. I have never asked him which one. I should talk to him soon, he is still living. I do remember him telling of many of the men jumped off into the burning oil. He stayed on board until he was rescued. I don't know any details, but I really should see if he would like talk about it and write it down into our family history.
Clayton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions