New to MD and would love some advice

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
I have been wanting get into MD for many years but never did take the plunge (I am in Tuscola, Illinois which is about 20 miles south of Champaign). I've finally decided that any exercise is better then none since I can no longer play competitive sports due to two knee surgeries in the past 9 months. Anyways, I would love to get with some of you guys and learn what to look for etc. I am looking at the Garret 250 as it seems to be a good machine but I am not against spending more if it makes sense for a newbie. I would rather have too much machine then not enough but then again if the 250 is ideal then I am fine with that.

I have 180 acres of woods that used to house a town from the early 1900's to the 1950's. The old general store used to sit in the lot where my garage is now. The garage sits about 50 feet from where the store use to be so I am anxious to see what might be around there. Anyways, any advice as to machine is greatly appreciated as is any get togethers to learn etc. Thanks in advance for the help!

Bob

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sounds like you're sitting on the promised land! The ACE 250 might do well if there are goodies that are not in trashy ground, with lots of junk, nails, etc.. and the depth is not too bad on good targets.

If you go over to the forum section on different metal detector brands and look through, get an idea of the mid-level machines that are available and see what you think of the features. Most are quick learners these days, for the easy picking targets. As the targets get nearer to trash and need better id'ing, the list of features/options goes up.

Don't fear the used md market, there are some great bargains out there, especially in the mid-range.

I would suggest getting a machine that has the standard-sized coil, one large coil for that clean ground with deep targets and one small coil for picking through the trash. All the major brands offer these options in their mid-range machines. The best deal is the unit that comes in with decent depth even with the small coil on it.

Have fun!

boopchapman7456

Aug 24, 2007
illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, Good luck in your new adventure. I have an ace 250 and i love it!! Its easy to use and price wise not bad. HH and good luck to you Boo :icon_thumright:

dimeaday

Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
quattro--EXII--Ace 250
We sometimes do a threesome,Grandson with ace 250, son with quattro I usually use the ex 2.. No one has ever been skunked, the 250 has come out on top more than once, nothing wrong with the minelabs, very good machines .don

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you plan on hunting in highly mineralized areas, the Ace 250 might well be the only detector you will need. I have seen some amazing finds with the little ace. I found my first gold with mine. Being in the game for a few years now I admit I have moved up to a more sophisticated machine, but I still pull out the old 250 when I need a quick hunt in a new place. I can scan it with the 250 and then come back later when I have more time and hunt the really deep targets. Works for me. Anyway, I'd also get the Sniper coil as it really helps seperate out small targets in junky areas. I think they have a special deal on getting two coils every now and then. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread