Lets hunt Greenwell Springs this month

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone hunt Greenwell Springs area before? I've done alot of reading of its civil war history and understand many troops marched and camped actually up and down GWS road between B.R. and N.O.(1812-1815). They also had 17 casualties in a friendly fire night scirmish when some itchy trigger fingers heard horses approaching one night. Both sides opened fire. 13 horses were also killed. That must have been some moment! Can you imagine? All in the darkness!!
I'm gone to spend 2 or 3 nights there soon and find some places to swing and dig. Will research more and speak to some locals. Anyone have any info, thoughts or interest in a hunt? Sure would like to check out the banks of the Comite river or close to the old hospital.(slim chance) Hope to visit and get advice from BREC. I'll try humble. I hear they can be difficult. LOL
Ray

Last edited:

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Ray. I live just outside Greenwell Springs. Several years ago my club did a "one day only" hunt at the Greenwell Springs Hospital(once a TB treatment facility), which was formerly a resort for the rich and famous of Baton Rouge. It was used for a camp for the Confederates during the Civil War. We did turn up a couple of buttons. The site now belongs to BREC and is strictly off limits to metal detecting. You can check their web site to see which parks are off limits. Last year, I was the first guy to be run out of a park for metal detecting. I've been detecting in the parks for the past 17 years with no problem. A friend of mine is head of one of the departments within the bureaucracyof the BREC organization, and he told me there wasn't any rule against metal detecting.??? Go fiqure. I've even had the park patrol guys ask me how the detecor works and if I was finding anything. There was nothing on their web site about not metal detecting in the parks. So I was really taken aback when the park patrol boy threatened me with arrest if I didn't leave immediately. I wrote a letter to the superintendent about how I was detecting using only a coin probe and screwdriver to "pop" coins. Also the president of my club was a personal acquaintance of the assistant superintendent. Well BREC made up some rules based on what I had written to them about the mode of hunting and they incorporated that into their guide line. Except they added the part about not detecting on the soccer fields.Bummer. That is where I did the best. Good luck. If you do come up with a promising site, give me a holler if you need a hunting buddy. Ron.

OP
OP
N

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only seems 6 of their 40 plus parks restrict md'ing. I need to find any others with history. Or permission from area landowners outside parks. And city land. Sounds ez. LOL
It'll be one of the last two weekends this month if weather is good.
Will also spend a few nights in St Francisville or Vicksburg. Perhaps Natchitotches next month.
Daylight savings time change in March.
Ray

DubCoco

Jul 9, 2015
Baton Rouge, La.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000, Pro Pointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Greenwell Springs area. Also, I hunt BREC parks all the time. One employee even rode me around on the BREC golfcart to get me around inside the areas. The PARDS parks in Livingston Parish are MD friendly also. I got invited by a land owner to detect an old "Union Army Landing Area" from Civil War. Was used to off load boats to supply troops around the Port Vincent area. I will check it out this weekend and report back on findings and how many people will be allowed to come in.

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dub Coco, I haven't ever run into you at any of the parks. Maybe if I can keep going on in this hobby I will see you one day. My 72yr. old body just don't want to comply with my lot younger want-to-do brain.

Last edited:

DubCoco

Jul 9, 2015
Baton Rouge, La.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000, Pro Pointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dub Coco, I haven't ever run into you at any of the parks. Maybe if I can keep going on in this hobby I will see you one day. My 72yr. old body just don't want to comply with my lot younger want-to-do.

Sometimes I feel the same way. I have hunted the couple of parks off Greenwell Springs Rd and beside the hospital, where that old store used to be. Didn't find anything at that old store site but didn't stay long due to a prob with one of my kids. The parks, didn't find anything old. Roceda, if you get out somewhere, let me know and I can meet up with you.

Houmadigs

Greenie
Nov 2, 2015
Houma area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Vulcan 360 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new to this and live in the Houma area and would be very interested in going on a dig/hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread