RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I'm from western Mass, Springfield area and have been getting motivated to try someplace different besides my house. Springfield is pretty historic and I don't know if they allow metal detectors in its parks or not. i understand and agree with the laws about historical sites as well as state parks but I don't know if they allow metal detecting in small parks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.........but I don't know if they allow metal detecting in small parks.

Well, the question of whether detecting (or ANY activity) is "allowed" or not, is not the question to be asking yourself. An activity need-not-be specifically "allowed", in order for you to be able to do it. For example: There is no specific law or rule that "allows" you fly frisbees in the park, or skip stones on the pond. Right? Instead you would only need to know if there were a prohibition on skipping stones or flying frisbees. Otherwise, one assumes he can do it. SAME FOR METAL DETECTING. There need-not-be specific "allowance" of it. If you're skittish, all you would need to do is satisfy yourself that there are no laws/rules that specifically say "no detecting". Because if not, then presto, it's not prohibited.

City and park rules, laws, charters, are usually available online at websites, or down at city hall in binder form for public viewing.

And yes, we can all agree that "obvious historic sensitive landmarks" are not wise to be snooping around (someone can get their panties in a wad). But for routine innocuous run-of-the-mill city parks, that's different. Unless the city had something that actually said "no metal detecting" in city code. Otherwise, .... oh well.

I hunt city parks in any city I come to, when I travel. Unless there were a sign at the park entrance saying otherwise. But sure, if you want to go the umph degree as I say, you're welcome to go to the city's rules, park's codes, etc.... The laws and rules must be available for public viewing.

Oh, and look up the rules on your own. Don't go asking desk-bound bureucrat's "can I detect?" Lest you risk the "No one cared till you asked", and they say "no", when in fact, no rule really says that, nor would they, or anyone, have ever cared or noticed (till you asked).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I see nothing in that link you give, about "Springfield". Do you ? And for that matter, very few (1 or 2 ? cities). Oh sure, the "obligatory" stuff about state and federal parks, woohoo. But so what? As you can see, on county and city levels, there is rarely ever anything specific. And BEST TO STAY THAT WAY. So don't go making yourself an object in need of "pressing attention" by asking dumb questions, or being an eye-sore.

So I'm not sure what that link has to do with anything.

If there's not a specific prohibition (a rule saying "no metal detectors at such & such park(s) ) then presto, it's not prohibited. If you're skittish, you can look up county and/or city code. I can't think of perhaps 3 or 4 cities (out of MANY HUNDREDS) in the entire state of CA that have such nuances (permits or whatever). The rest are silent on the matter. I would suspect that all the other states are no different. And best to keep it that way.

OP
OP
RelicPrime113

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I've checked my towns website and saw no laws and such regarding metal detectors. I saw no codes and regulations either. I guess I'm good to go. There's a park just down the road from my house that's pretty old and I like to check it out. Hopefully its untouched. :thumbsup:

Advocate0426

Nov 20, 2013
Springfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I've checked my towns website and saw no laws and such regarding metal detectors. I saw no codes and regulations either. I guess I'm good to go. There's a park just down the road from my house that's pretty old and I like to check it out. Hopefully its untouched. :thumbsup:

Hey Relic, I've been hunting since I was 5 with my father, after about 8 years off (and having a 5 year old of my own) I picked up a used DFX today... I saw your post and the first thing I thought was "safety in numbers"... Heck hunting only gets better when done with someone else... Send me a Pm here or reply to my post if you want to hook up and hit a park around town.

Take care and good hunting!

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I've been wanting to hunt over at Forest Park, but did not want to do it alone. Anyone up for a trip over there before the snow hits?

Jack

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Jack. My name is Chad, and I'm relatively new to the hobby of metal detecting. Anyways, I live in western Mass, and share your desire and concerns regarding Forest Park. Was wondering if you ever made it over there or not, and if anybody bothered you? I share the sentiment that we're stronger in numbers. So if you ever want somebody to check it out with, I'd love to go. Thanks.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If a park has no sign and the cops come to kick you out ask them to show you the laws and or statutes for that park.If they fail to do so then you know theyre full of B.S.Sue em.

jenniemd

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi,
I live in Williamsburg/Northampton area. Any other women out there who would like to go detecting.

dmoggio

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2015
Western Ma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in Easthampton but haven't left the yard, looking for someone with experience to tag along with and learn whatever I can.

ajmets

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I've been wanting to hunt over at Forest Park, but did not want to do it alone. Anyone up for a trip over there before the snow hits?

Jack

Hi. My son is dying to do some more metal detecting in Forest Park. We live right down the block. Truth be told, I'd like to also. Would love to meet up with some folks. He's young in years but so darn smart and passionate. Please reach out to us.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ajmets,

I'm not sure if I ever replied to you, I don't remember getting a notification of your post...

Anyway, I did almost no hunting last year, but I'd like to change that in 2017. Let me know if you'd still like to hook up to do Forest Park or any other spots come Spring time.

Thanks, Jack

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ajmets,

I'm not sure if I ever replied to you, I don't remember getting a notification of your post...

Anyway, I did almost no hunting last year, but I'd like to change that in 2017. Let me know if you'd still like to hook up to do Forest Park or any other spots come Spring time.

Thanks, Jack

Hey Jack..Forest Park is OFF LIMITS thanks to an inconsiderate,sure enough now under rules and regulations it reads..NO MEDAL DETECTING.

GODBless

Chris

Anthony@34

Aug 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone my name is Tony am new to metal detecting looking to meet people who wanna detect the area western mass
Am clueless where because of the regulations and lots place is off limit but looking to enjoy this Great hobby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions