i live in jackson ms can someone help

desire3339

Nov 24, 2005
jackson mississippi
hey all i live in jackson ijust got into the metal detecting thing.. i started rock collecting looking for arrowheads <-- still looking :)
i want to go metal detect but where do i go any ideas im from chatt, tn
so i dont know to much about ms and i also want to know all the places i can find arrowheads i found one in crystal springs, ms (hopewell) near the river i would love to get any maps (detailed) of all the creeks, streams, roads im not asking for much am i lol ;D
thanks ........donna

Nov 25, 2007
I used to be in Hattiesburg, MS
Now I'm in Pontotoc, MS
But know a good bit about J'son as My brother lived there.

1 place to go is the fairgrounds for sure. They have a big coin collectors thing everytime they have the fair, or any exhibit, and sometimes, they lose things....... wellll....

And if you'll look into a small town not far from j'son, actually its a suburb of j'son, and it's called Brandon, or even look into Canton, Ms
many confederate items were buried there, many gold blocks lost or buried and never found, many cache's never found.

But another good thing, is that if you look up at your local chamber of commerce, about ancient indian burial grounds, you'll find alot that are located on the natchez trace going through J'son and you'll also find, that it's not illegal to use your metal detector at the trace.

Happy Hunting from Pontotoc

Doe

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Donna,

In my opinion, perhaps the best thing that you can do is to go to your local library.

Check in the reference area if they have one and ask the librarian if they have old maps of your town available.

I did that once for a town in Kansas and found maps from 1867, which showed the parks and streets as it was for that year, just like the map of Wichita that I am posting here.

They let me make copies for something like a dime apiece.

I have also found quite a few old maps by using search engines for the same areas and just downloaded them from the internet.

Then, I printed out a copy (I have MS Streets & Trips) of the same area and then superimposed the new one over the old one and found out that I had been looking in the wrong area of this park, which was very large in size.

You can use map quest as well and it will accomplish the same thing.

If you are still having troubles finding current maps, I can send you some if you can select an area.

I realized that there was an old horse and buggy race track, which showed were the bandstand and concession area was in 1867.

Once I started looking in that area the finds were incredible.

In that area I found about 10 Indian Head pennies, an 1866 Shield Nickel, a 1914 Barber Dime (which almost looked like it came straight from the mint), about 5 or six Mercury Dimes, a 1910 canadian cent, some Indian Head Nickels, a "Jap Rose" key fob-1944, a $1 Mentor token (mercantile store in that area), and old chinese coin, lots and lots of "wheaties"-oldest of them was 1910, and many, many other things-All in the first morning that I went detecting AFTER GOING TO THE LIBRARY, before the trip to the library, it was hit and miss, mostly miss!

I am posting here two pics that show the same idea.

The first one is a map of Wichata, Kansas from 1888, and the second one is just from the MS Streets and Trips program, which I just printed out from that program of the same area.

You can see from the old track where the race track was and this would be a great area to start hunting on.

It does pay much more if you do some research on your area before heading out to hunt.

Hope this gives you some good ideas and better yet, some great results as I have realized.

HH

Tim

Attachments

• wichita 1888 Two Parks.jpg
    wichita 1888 Two Parks.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5,286
  • wichita 2007 parks.jpg
    wichita 2007 parks.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 701

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in a great place there. 1-3 hours from so much. I'd say Natchez or Vicksburg areas are very rich. Google everthing. Access and permission are your hurdles. Forget about "the Dueling Sand Bar" or "the Devil's Punchbowl" in Natchez area. Interesting read though. Get on it!
HH,
Ray

edited 11/1...... Just noticed I have replied to a 6 yr old thread. OOPS

Last edited:

Silvercoinmaster

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2013
Clinton Ms.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Garrett Pro Pin Pointer, Garrett Land Headphones. Luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is an google earth overlay I made for Jackson Ms.
Some area's of interest:
The Confederate Prison Pen was located where the State Fiargrounds are now.
The Union Hospital was located where the Zoo and Livingston Park is now.
The "HILL" in south Jackson where the Nissan Dealership is now was the location of Union Artillary which fired upon all of Jackson,
just north of this position is "Battlefield Park".

JacksonMS.JPG

Kayleealways

Aug 19, 2012
I used to be in Hattiesburg, MS Now I'm in Pontotoc, MS But know a good bit about J'son as My brother lived there. 1 place to go is the fairgrounds for sure. They have a big coin collectors thing everytime they have the fair, or any exhibit, and sometimes, they lose things....... wellll.... And if you'll look into a small town not far from j'son, actually its a suburb of j'son, and it's called Brandon, or even look into Canton, Ms many confederate items were buried there, many gold blocks lost or buried and never found, many cache's never found. But another good thing, is that if you look up at your local chamber of commerce, about ancient indian burial grounds, you'll find alot that are located on the natchez trace going through J'son and you'll also find, that it's not illegal to use your metal detector at the trace. Happy Hunting from Pontotoc Doe
That is so false and misleading. Hunting on the trace is a Federal crime. You can not use detectors on the Natchez trace much less even walk on Indian burial grounds or mounds.
Unbelievable!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread