redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Late notice but anyone up for a Saturday morning run? Meeting up at the Ward's on N.40th Ave and Hardy St, near I-59. Going to be there around 6:30am, do biscuit and coffee, then hit the ground. Hunt to at least lunch time and see how we do. Let us know or just show up. James and Jblack have a hot streak going, see if we can continue the good luck.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had a good time today. Thank you for the invite Andy. Was a pleasure to meet everyone.
And thanks to everyone for waiting on me, was spur of the moment and last minute.
Look me up if yall are ever down here on the coast.
For me, the day started out kinda slow but I did manage to pull a few keepers.
I have never hunted with such a large group, it was kinda of neat seeing all the people with their different machines and finds.
The best find I made today, was the WW1 era US General Service Coat button at the end of the hunt.
Will definitely have to do it again sometime. Cheers :occasion14:

Attachments

• DSC02696.JPG
    DSC02696.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC02698.JPG
    DSC02698.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC02699.JPG
    DSC02699.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is a great find!!! I am glad you made the trip! That was the biggest group we have had before! I would love for a couple of us to join you on a hunt in your neck of the woods sometime!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, that is a great find!!! I am glad you made the trip! That was the biggest group we have had before! I would love for a couple of us to join you on a hunt in your neck of the woods sometime!
Thanks JBlack, I had a good time too.
I have a few sites that have coughed up some good coins and relics; however, nothing "virgin" at the moment.
But who knows, different detctors, dectorists, dectecting styles/techniques might allow those sites to cough up a few more goodies.
I will try to come up with something new soon, but if all else fails, I got a few to fall back on.
Send me a pm sometime.
HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a good day when you get to meet some new MD friends and hunt. Glad everyone got to make it, we will work on our planning a little more. Added some more to the junk bucket, a couple of clads and a cap gun. Know we aren't going to get rich but cool finding all kinds of history on that lot. Hope we can do this again soon.
hub1.JPG

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435546774.979257.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435546799.145473.jpg
Here are the two best things I found Saturday, one is a JJ Newman tag, which I think is a really neat piece of local history. It is from the JJ Newman lumber company that was located in Hattiesburg from the late 1800s to about 1945.

The other is a medallion, it is from a lumber worker fraternity, the date on it is jan 1909, that year they had a convention in New Orleans, the organization is actually still around and operate a museum in Arkansas, I. Have contacted them to see if they may want to display the medallion.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always a good day when you get to meet some new MD friends and hunt. Glad everyone got to make it, we will work on our planning a little more. Added some more to the junk bucket, a couple of clads and a cap gun. Know we aren't going to get rich but cool finding all kinds of history on that lot. Hope we can do this again soon.
Nice lookin cap gun, that sucker has to be old. I don't remember ever seeing anything like that when I was a kid.
Let me know when yall do your next hunt. If I can get a little more notice I might have another person I can bring up. aka Lafitte.
Just did an overnite canoe trip on Black Creek, that would be a cool area to get in on, but I don't know about much of the areas history.
I did notice that both Black and Red Creek run all the way to the Pascagoula River System. Surely those were trade/transportation routes at one time.
Here are the two best things I found Saturday, one is a JJ Newman tag, which I think is a really neat piece of local history. It is from the JJ Newman lumber company that was located in Hattiesburg from the late 1800s to about 1945.

The other is a medallion, it is from a lumber worker fraternity, the date on it is jan 1909, that year they had a convention in New Orleans, the organization is actually still around and operate a museum in Arkansas, I. Have contacted them to see if they may want to display the medallion.
Cool finds JBlack, its always nice to be able to add a little history to your finds. That area had to be traveled through by the Logging Industry Workers at one time or another.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Copeland gang ran the area up and down Black & Red Creeks. A lot of explorers and pioneers use the creeks too. More good news - Nick has found a awesome out of town property that we are trying to get the ok too. Don't want to spill the beans just yet, if and when we get the thumbs-up, then we will line a trip up. Keep your fingers crossed, this would be a kick-a** location.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's right. I own and have read the book, "Life and Confession of the Noted Outlaw James Copeland", by Pitts. Ever since reading it, I have been interested in Red and Black Creek, Perry County, Americus, and Brewton. If I recall correctly Americus and Brewton, which are now ghost towns, were the seats of the first two Jackson County Courthouses, before it was moved to Pascagoula. Copeland and McGrath burned the Brewton Courthouse down to destroy records to keep James from going to jail for stealing hogs. Pretty interesting book, it really gives one a good idea how people lived and traversed during the early 19th century, i.e. canoe, raft, foot, horse-back, schooner, steamboat.
The whole time I was on that canoe trip this weekend I was looking at the Creek Bank hoping to see an iron kettle sticking out, lol..., and wondering where they might have camped.
Im sure the creek has probably re-routed and changed course some over the past 180 years.
I would be up for doing an over night canoe trip and detecting some of the many sandbars/beaches along black creek if anyone were interested.
Surprisingly it wasn't that hot in a tent at night for this time of the year.

Let us know about the new location if possible...
Have Detector, will Travel.

Last edited:

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a hiking trail that follows the black creek, it's called the black creek trail and runs about 40 miles I have hiked it several times

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is also a hiking trail that follows the black creek, it's called the black creek trail and runs about 40 miles I have hiked it several times
Funny you mention that, as we were canoeing I thought I saw a couple wooden bridges through the trees here and there. Was wondering what those were doing there. When we finally ended the trip at Fairley Bridge Landing there was a trail head sign that said black creek hiking trail. You know of any particular links that show the trails, or should I just google black creek hiking trails and see what comes up.
Where is the start and finish?
While hiking, did you ever notice anything like old foundations, etc.?
Our trip started at the outfitters in Brooklyn, and ended at Fairley Bridge Landing. Only saw one house the entire trip, and it was modern, although we didn't get off the creek much.
Thanks

Last edited:

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can google it but it pretty much starts south of Brooklyn and follows the river sometimes it gets away from the river but it runs roughly 40 miles I cannot remember the name of the end point but is past Janice landing I believe, south of new agusta on highway 29. While hiking it I never noticed any old structures but that does not mean they would t be around the woods are very thick through that party of desoto

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must be too hot on you boys down in south Misipy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!! No posts ............. If ya'll can get out in this weather, uins a lot tougher than I am ...

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Must be too hot on you boys down in south Misipy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!! No posts ............. If ya'll can get out in this weather, uins a lot tougher than I am ...
Lol. That's what I was thinking. Must be hot up North in Hattiesburg.
You guys hibernating?

Last edited:

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha no we are still around, I was laying tile all weekend and didn't get to detect any. Might try to hit it this after noon.

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure hope we go again real soon. I'm itching to try out my new AT Pro! Got a couple little digs in over the past few days to help with my withdrawals, but I need a good hunt! lol!

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been extremely hot lately around here (as you all know).
I have been hitting the playground at the elementary school up the road from my house lately.
Mostly clad, some broken earrings, and can slaw.
I did find a 1984 Commonwealth of Bahama 5 cent piece, and today I found a Namco gaming token (rang up like a modern shield Penny on my AT Pro, but was as big as a nickel).
Picked up a Sacagawea dollar coin at the Calhoun football field.
No great finds as of late!

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to post the pics of my finds from that day!
pimp_rings.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread