Shady Grove School Mini Hunt

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a little time this a.m. to hunt the old school grounds by the gymnasium at Shady Grove elementary school (north on 16th avenue in Laurel).
I picked up a lot of can slaw and pull tabs (both modern and beaver tails).
The find of the morning was a 1952 wheat penny in the gravel parking lot about 1 inch down.
I only found a little over a dollar in clad in about the 2 hours I was there (lots of junk signals).

I have been trying to gain access to the old football field at Shady Grove.
It is locked up tight.
The fence could easily be hopped, but I don't play that game.
My spouse said they used to hold carnivals on the field itself along with all the football games.
In the 60's Sharon school was closed and all those elementary students were consolidated at Shady Grove.
Sharon school did reopen for several years (my son actually attended it for several years), but is permanently closed now.
Both schools are now closed, with the creation of West and North Jones elementary.
I sent an email to the superintendent of education about it, and he said he would check into it.
He said it was being leased by some youth football league and they maintained it.
I did not tell him I wanted to M.D. it though, so when/if I hear back, I will add that.
I would love for us to get permission and hit that old field (it is probably not virgin ground).
If you are careful and the ground is not too dry, you should not even be able to tell a hole was dug.

I have already hit the old Sharon and Calhoun football fields (Sharon was the most productive).
I had a guy come by and talk me out of future visits to the Calhoun field, so it is off my list.
Let me know if anyone wants to do detect Saturday or after work one day.
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit the Shady Grove School again this a.m. before it got hot (left around 9:00 a.m.).
Found a 1994 P Half dollar this time!
That nickel that is nicked on the end is a 1956 too.
Still have not gained access to the football field though.
shady_grove_hunt_7_29_2015.jpg

Last edited:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. :thumbsup:
Whats with all the fences nowadays.
There is an area behind our football field that everyone used to tailgate and watch the game, but now its fenced in with an 8' fence, so no access.
Most of our schools also have tall fences around them nowadays. The world is turning into a prisonplanet.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions