Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless the guy shows up to work on my driveway, I will be there.
Thanks for the invite!

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool. Might be out of town but don't know. My wife also has plans three Saturday's in a row in August, so I might not get to go much then. Might as well go when I can. Sadly, had to mail my pro pointer to the shop in Texas. I'm lost without right now. I guess I can always find a bloodhound to go with me...will see if I can make it. Thanks.

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to go, but sadly I think wife might have other plans. If you do go until lunch, don't get too hot! I had to take a shower under the water hose to cool off last Saturday.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool. Might be out of town but don't know. My wife also has plans three Saturday's in a row in August, so I might not get to go much then. Might as well go when I can. Sadly, had to mail my pro pointer to the shop in Texas. I'm lost without right now. I guess I can always find a bloodhound to go with me...will see if I can make it. Thanks.

Steve, if I am there, you can borrow one of my spares. I agree that hunting without a pinpointer is very difficult.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once we get thru the hot part of summer, then we can try some late afternoon/evening weekday hunts. Don't worry if you can make it this weekend, I know about keeping certain people at home happy, happy, happy. When we get a good hunt planned, then you can turn in your built up honey do credits.

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve, if I am there, you can borrow one of my spares. I agree that hunting without a pinpointer is very difficult.

Thanks, Nick! If I go, I will likely have to take you up on that. I just contacted Garrett. They received my Pro-Pointer on 7/29, and said it will take 2 weeks. 2 weeks?! Ahhhhhhh! I can't go 2 weeks without a pin pointer now! From what I've read online, the Pro-Pointer is plagued with falsing issues, similar to mine. It sounds like you have to send them in for repairs every 6 - 8 months, so I expect the problems will come back after they fix it for me. I need to save up and get the new AT one (orange)...it supposedly addresses the falsing problems...now to convince the wife.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is about the same time it took for my White's TRX to go to Oregon and back.
They ended up just issuing me a new one.
If I am there, I will let you test drive that Orange Garrett AT spare I have.
I also have some of those penny flips (so you can seal up those Wheaties).
Just remind me, they are in my trunk.

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Garrett Carrot! But anything is better than nothing... No fun without a pointer, especially when you hit a hole with over 16 pennies in it!!!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Who wants to go sweat this Saturday morning? Got a few lots in town and fresh batteries. As usual, start early and go till lunch. Looking at meeting at the McD's on Broadway Dr about 6am, if that is good for ya'll. If anyone has another spot they want to put up, I am game.
Going to try to make it up there again sometime in the near future.

Slad - Ive had to send my black garrett back twice for repairs.
The best solution is to buy two, so you are never left without one.
Some people prefer not to use one, but I love having one and hate to be without.
There is a way to GB the pointer which might help with the falsing issue.
Hold Pointer to ground, and while doing so turn on pointer = Ground Balanced.
There are videos on youtube explaining this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime BP. We need to come down and see you sometime too.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recommend spending the extra $25 and getting the new AT (orange) version as a spare though (if you go that route).
I think that Hub City hobby (by Oak Grove High School next to Keister's BBQ) sells them.
The price may be a little over the internet (plus taxes), but you can get one immediately.

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input, guys.

BP, I just learned about ground balancing a few weeks ago and tried that. It did help, but I still had issues.

Nick, I have $30 in coupons usable at Kellyco staring me in the face...so I would likely buy from them to save a little $.

Well, I love Garrett, and I would love to have the "carrot" (orange one). But the falsing I've experienced on the black one makes me leery. Not to mention, mine was giving the loud, crazy low-battery alarm (sounded like an ambulance) when the battery was fine! That was the last straw, was time to mail it in!

So, my question is, what do y'all suggest?

1. Minelab Pro 25 (very price, and NOT waterproof)
2. Makro Pointer (waterproof and seems OK, but Turkish company?)
3. Deteknix XPointer (Justin's favorite, and doesn't false...but not waterproof. I can't find the waterproof one online)
4. Garret AT Pro-Pointer (#1 in my book, but scared of possible fasling)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have and love #3 Deteknix XPointer.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since my wife hunts with me occasionally, we must have backups.

Here are the ones we have:
Garrett Original (Black)
Garrett AT (Orange)
White's TRX (this is the one I use the most)
Vibra-Probe (vibration only, but can work up to 100 feet underwater).
http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Vibra-Probe-580-PinPointer/dp/B0032D0ADO
$17 Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight:
Metal Detector
Some people have modded these to deal with the high pitched sound, fix the power button, and to vibrate for $10 worth of parts, but these are for emergency use only.

Last edited:

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lady at Garrett just called me and told me they are replacing my whole unit (black one). I put a note in the package to see if I could upgrade to the orange one (hey, why not). She said she was calling me in reference to that, but that they couldn't do it. Haha, hey, never hurts to ask. But she said I'm getting a brand new black one with a "new style switch". I'm not sure if that addresses all the problems I had, but, hey...it's a brand new one, so it should, right? Or, at least for a while. I'm happy! She said they may try their best to get it shipped today. We'll see...

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank goodness for the 2 year warranty on most Garrett products!
That is what impresses me about the XP Deus, it comes with a 5 year warranty (Parts and Labor).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread