Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Aug. 1 hunt

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2008
    South Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett AT Maxx
    201 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Aug. 1 hunt

Who wants to go sweat this Saturday morning? Got a few lots in town and fresh batteries. As usual, start early and go till lunch. Looking at meeting at the McD's on Broadway Dr about 6am, if that is good for ya'll. If anyone has another spot they want to put up, I am game.
    bonepicker likes this.
    The deeper I dig, the more dirt I find.

us
    Metal Detectorist and Adventurer

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
    279 times
    Metal Detecting
    Unless the guy shows up to work on my driveway, I will be there.
    Thanks for the invite!

us
    Jun 2015
    Petal, MS
    Garrett AT Pro - NEL Thunder, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    53 times
    Metal Detecting
    Cool. Might be out of town but don't know. My wife also has plans three Saturday's in a row in August, so I might not get to go much then. Might as well go when I can. Sadly, had to mail my pro pointer to the shop in Texas. I'm lost without right now. I guess I can always find a bloodhound to go with me...will see if I can make it. Thanks.
    Stop talking about it; get out there and do it! There's history to be saved!

Mar 2015
    47 times
    I want to go, but sadly I think wife might have other plans. If you do go until lunch, don't get too hot! I had to take a shower under the water hose to cool off last Saturday.

us

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
    279 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Slad View Post
    Cool. Might be out of town but don't know. My wife also has plans three Saturday's in a row in August, so I might not get to go much then. Might as well go when I can. Sadly, had to mail my pro pointer to the shop in Texas. I'm lost without right now. I guess I can always find a bloodhound to go with me...will see if I can make it. Thanks.
    Steve, if I am there, you can borrow one of my spares. I agree that hunting without a pinpointer is very difficult.
    Clad Slad likes this.

us
    Mar 2008
    South Mississippi
    201 times
    Once we get thru the hot part of summer, then we can try some late afternoon/evening weekday hunts. Don't worry if you can make it this weekend, I know about keeping certain people at home happy, happy, happy. When we get a good hunt planned, then you can turn in your built up honey do credits.
    Clad Slad likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    Petal, MS
    53 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
    Steve, if I am there, you can borrow one of my spares. I agree that hunting without a pinpointer is very difficult.
    Thanks, Nick! If I go, I will likely have to take you up on that. I just contacted Garrett. They received my Pro-Pointer on 7/29, and said it will take 2 weeks. 2 weeks?! Ahhhhhhh! I can't go 2 weeks without a pin pointer now! From what I've read online, the Pro-Pointer is plagued with falsing issues, similar to mine. It sounds like you have to send them in for repairs every 6 - 8 months, so I expect the problems will come back after they fix it for me. I need to save up and get the new AT one (orange)...it supposedly addresses the falsing problems...now to convince the wife.

us

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    279 times
    Metal Detecting
    That is about the same time it took for my White's TRX to go to Oregon and back.
    They ended up just issuing me a new one.
    If I am there, I will let you test drive that Orange Garrett AT spare I have.
    I also have some of those penny flips (so you can seal up those Wheaties).
    Just remind me, they are in my trunk.
    Clad Slad likes this.

Mar 2015
    47 times
    I love my Garrett Carrot! But anything is better than nothing... No fun without a pointer, especially when you hit a hole with over 16 pennies in it!!!
    Clad Slad likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    MS, Lynchberg
    XP DEUS
    2522 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by redbronco View Post
    Who wants to go sweat this Saturday morning? Got a few lots in town and fresh batteries. As usual, start early and go till lunch. Looking at meeting at the McD's on Broadway Dr about 6am, if that is good for ya'll. If anyone has another spot they want to put up, I am game.
    Going to try to make it up there again sometime in the near future.

Slad - Ive had to send my black garrett back twice for repairs.
    The best solution is to buy two, so you are never left without one.
    Some people prefer not to use one, but I love having one and hate to be without.
    There is a way to GB the pointer which might help with the falsing issue.
    Hold Pointer to ground, and while doing so turn on pointer = Ground Balanced.
    There are videos on youtube explaining this.
    Last edited by bonepicker; Jul 30, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
    Clad Slad likes this.
    Another day older and deeper in debt.

us
    Mar 2008
    South Mississippi
    201 times
    Anytime BP. We need to come down and see you sometime too.
    bonepicker likes this.

us

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    279 times
    Metal Detecting
    I recommend spending the extra $25 and getting the new AT (orange) version as a spare though (if you go that route).
    I think that Hub City hobby (by Oak Grove High School next to Keister's BBQ) sells them.
    The price may be a little over the internet (plus taxes), but you can get one immediately.
    Clad Slad likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    Petal, MS
    53 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for all the input, guys.

BP, I just learned about ground balancing a few weeks ago and tried that. It did help, but I still had issues.

Nick, I have $30 in coupons usable at Kellyco staring me in the face...so I would likely buy from them to save a little $.

Well, I love Garrett, and I would love to have the "carrot" (orange one). But the falsing I've experienced on the black one makes me leery. Not to mention, mine was giving the loud, crazy low-battery alarm (sounded like an ambulance) when the battery was fine! That was the last straw, was time to mail it in!

So, my question is, what do y'all suggest?

1. Minelab Pro 25 (very price, and NOT waterproof)
    2. Makro Pointer (waterproof and seems OK, but Turkish company?)
    3. Deteknix XPointer (Justin's favorite, and doesn't false...but not waterproof. I can't find the waterproof one online)
    4. Garret AT Pro-Pointer (#1 in my book, but scared of possible fasling)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Clad Slad; Jul 31, 2015 at 09:24 AM.

us
    Detector Collector

May 2015
    Madison, MS
    Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
    2229 times
    I mainly coin shoot, but I also enjoy relic hunting and shallow ocean hunting.
    I have and love #3 Deteknix XPointer.
    Clad - 2 dollars, 274 quarters, 282 dimes, 115 nickels, 787 pennies, 1 foreign
    Older - 1 Barber Half, 1 Walker, 1 Franklin, 1 Seated Qtr, 1 Barber Qtr, 5 Washington, 4 Barber Dimes, 12 Mercs, 13 Rosies
    1 CB Half Dime, 1 Shield, 3 Vs, 8 Buffalos, 4 War Nickels, 10 IHPs, 137 Wheats, 1803 Half Real
    Relics - 1 3-Ringer, 1 Round Ball, Silver fork, 3 pocket knives, Gem Micromatic razor, small compact, Silver bib clip, Silver brush, skeleton key
    Jewelry - 2 Gold rings, 2 Silver rings, Silver bracelet, Silver earring, 3 Silver charms, lady's watch

Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.

Captain Caveman

us

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    279 times
    Metal Detecting
    Since my wife hunts with me occasionally, we must have backups.

Here are the ones we have:
    Garrett Original (Black)
    Garrett AT (Orange)
    White's TRX (this is the one I use the most)
    Vibra-Probe (vibration only, but can work up to 100 feet underwater).
    http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Vibra.../dp/B0032D0ADO
    $17 Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight:
    Metal Detector
    Some people have modded these to deal with the high pitched sound, fix the power button, and to vibrate for $10 worth of parts, but these are for emergency use only.
    Last edited by muerte33; Jul 31, 2015 at 09:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links