Tricking out the older Garrett Pro Pointers

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andy,
Here is the technique I showed you the other day about how to extend the detection distance on the fly with the old Garrett pro pointers:

I used a piece of metal strapping on my gloved thumb and slid it up/down the pro pointer to do the same thing he does with the nickel (that way I never lost a nickel).

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great tip!! Thanks!!!

I tried it and it WORKS :)

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember this from a few years back, but forgot how it worked. Thanks for the update.
Do you use this a lot out in the field?
I tried it earlier with a nickel and got 3", wonder If that means my battery is going out.
I tried it with a dime and got less than 3".

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
knock on wood, I haven't had any problems with pinpointer and it seems to be good with range but will try it. Always looking for more performance. Good tip Nick. :thumbsup:

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get an xpointer bronco

OP
OP
M

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used this technique until I upgraded to the White's TRX pinpointer, which has sensitivity levels built in.
I will post a picture of my gloved hand with the metal clamp on it. This way you do not have to worry about losing it.

OP
OP
M

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a picture of the clamp.
clamp.jpg
I do not take credit for any of this, I am just a copycat.
Notice the $2.00 a pair Harbor Freight gloves (at least that is what they used to cost).
http://www.harborfreight.com/household/gloves/latex-coated-work-gloves-large-61435.html
You can take them to the laundrymat and they usually survive about 3-4 washes on cold or warm (never hot), then can be disposed.
Like they say in the comments, once they start going sticky, just toss them.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used this technique until I upgraded to the White's TRX pinpointer, which has sensitivity levels built in.
I will post a picture of my gloved hand with the metal clamp on it. This way you do not have to worry about losing it.
I know a couple people who use the TRX.
That sucker goes deep.
The only issue with all that sensi, is sometimes its so strong you cant tell which side of the hole its on.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I used this trick yesterday. Hit some good sounds with the CTX, and the Pro Pointer didn't sense the targets. So, I took my digger blade and set it on the Pro Pointer & backed off till the noise reset. Then the pin pointer sounded off the target's location enthusiastically :)

It seemed to detect deeper than it did in the air test.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the clamp.
View attachment 1193727
I do not take credit for any of this, I am just a copycat.
Notice the $2.00 a pair Harbor Freight gloves (at least that is what they used to cost).
Latex Coated Work Gloves Large
You can take them to the laundrymat and they usually survive about 3-4 washes on cold or warm (never hot), then can be disposed.
Like they say in the comments, once they start going sticky, just toss them.

BTW, Those gloves are the best i have used in the last 6 years of detecting. I used to buy the fancy ones and the fingers always wear out in a couple months....these gloves will last 4 + months and only cost 1.99...I have 4 pair new sitting in my bag at home.

Just dont let them get too hot, they will start to melt...but they are waterproof on the hands which are a must for me

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a few different ideas and finished with this.
point1.JPG
Took some silver foil tape and made a couple wraps between the button and speaker. Seems to be doing good and has a bit more depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread