Central Missouri sites

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
I have been detecting civil war sites for a few years off and on in Missouri and Mississippi. In Missouri I have detected mainly in about 3 counties. I have done some research and driving around in Audrain, Montgomery, Cole, Moniteau, Callaway and Osage counties. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on these counties. I certainly do not expect anyone to give up their sites but mainly looking for good resources to try including any metal detecting clubs. Also, it has always been my goal to detect a War of 1812 site. I realize finding a site like that is highly improbable.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i live up in nw missouri i have a map of the civilwar sites in missouri and there are quite a few of them around my area

OP
OP
M

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
I might recommend for Missouri civil war buffs and detectors the book A Tour Guide to Missouri's Civil War by Gregory Wolk which came out in 2010. It has five driving loops around all of Missouri and what is great is he has exact locations of camps, battles, skirmishes, river crossings and notable sites. There are also black and white pictures. I now have it in my Jeep when I travel about Missouri with my detector. I met the author at a lecture he was giving and he was extremely friendly and knowledgeable especially about northeast Missouri.

benmmaddog

May 17, 2011
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are hitting audrain county hit boone county too, in Centralia there is a civil war site , don't know exactly where but seen a sign saying Centralia Battlefield the other day ,can't remeber if it was on hwy 22 or hwy 124

graderman

Greenie
Feb 13, 2011
Missouri
Detector(s) used
garrett ,ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry put it is closed for us metal directest. I live about five miles from that sight. there is a big sign on the gate when you drive in. :angry5:

JustRyan

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the stcharles area and am looking for maps from civil war sites can u telle where to get those?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread