Questions About Metal Detecting Rules In New York State

ReefDiving21

May 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???New to the Tompkins/Cortland area. Anyone know the rules when it comes to metal detecting in these counties? Can I metal detect in county parks? What is off limits? I know state parks are generally off limits, unless allowed a permit, but do I need a permit to metal detect in general parks and county parks and stuff? Also, if I wanted to metal detect on non state park beaches up on lake Ontario- is that allowed? Any places around Cortland And Tompkins county that you KNOW allow metal detecting please let me know. Finally, if I do have to get a permit for common parks ,and such, where do I get it? Sorry for all the questions and hope someone can answer truthfully, I am from out of state. Thanks in advance!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can't tell you anything about where you live. You have to decide where you are going to detect based on common sense, gut feelings - and the law. I have detected in many places not open to the general public after talking with - and making a personal relationships with those in charge. If you go to "City Hall" and ask permission to hunt a city park, I can almost guarantee you will be rebuffed. Yet if you just go to the park at 6am, and leave by 8am when the dog walkers come out, nine times out of ten, nobody bothers you. If you are respectful, know how to use a hand digger and don’t leave any signs you were ever there, MOST often you won’t be bothered – in my personal experience, which has no bearing on your reality. Do NOT take anyone’s advice here on the forum – including mine! Use your head, make up your own mind.

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and NY. You need to check the codes for your area. Town and county codes many times are online. Generally, if the is no set code prohibiting it you are good to go. Common sense is a good tool to take with you. Other than permits needed for State Parks, I have had no issues at L Ontario. Do some searching on the forums here just beware not to let yourself get caught between the "askies" and the "no-askies"

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
City Parks are usually good to go, but some County parks require a permit, or at least a check in at the offices of the park. State Parks are almost always by permit only. Federal Lands are most likely Off Limits. If there is no office at a park, I take free reign...If there is an office, I usually ask permission first.

HH,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread