Im from Upstate N.Y.

Donedroolin

Feb 3, 2008
I'm from Upstate N.Y.

Hello, I am from the Upstate N.Y. area. I live in a small town called Athens. It is located approx 30 miles South of Albany and 30 miles North of Kingston. I have been hunting for about three years with a Radio Shack Discovery 1000. I have found lots of new coins. I have also used it on the beach down in Florida at Clear water. Found lots of batterys and a fork, some junk jewelery and such. I also used it on the beach at Cape May N.J. found lots of pennies and some bottle caps and enough quarters to pay for my parking meter. My wife gave me a Whites Prizm 5 for christmas and I have not tried it yet. Ground is frozen and you do to much damage digging now. And when it not frozen it is just a nasty muddy mess. Any way looking for more areas to hunt and people to go with. Good luck to all Hunters. I am still looking for my big find.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Re: I'm from Upstate N.Y.

Hi Donedroolin
Man, New York is just too big ::)
I am a bit too far away to go hunting with you but I know there are members closer to where you live.
and of course if you are passing through and I have something planned, I always like hunting with someone rather then solo.
HH,
Donny

olias

Mar 18, 2008
Albany,NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150

Hi, I'm in the Albany area and new to metal detecting. I'm always looking for new places and perhaps somebody to go with.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

Donedroolin said:
Hello, I am from the Upstate N.Y. area. I live in a small town called Athens. It is located approx 30 miles South of Albany and 30 miles North of Kingston. I have been hunting for about three years with a Radio Shack Discovery 1000. I have found lots of new coins. I have also used it on the beach down in Florida at Clear water. Found lots of batterys and a fork, some junk jewelery and such. I also used it on the beach at Cape May N.J. found lots of pennies and some bottle caps and enough quarters to pay for my parking meter. My wife gave me a Whites Prizm 5 for christmas and I have not tried it yet. Ground is frozen and you do to much damage digging now. And when it not frozen it is just a nasty muddy mess. Any way looking for more areas to hunt and people to go with. Good luck to all Hunters. I am still looking for my big find.
hi friend, you are upstate but not up-state. n.y. is huge! i'm c.n.y. and am north of you about 50 m. i'm 90 m. miles from cdn. border. then you are up state!

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6

I haven't been past Putnam yet, but if its not too too far i am willing to travel for a hunt.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

djabend said:
Hi Donedroolin
Man, New York is just too big ::)
I am a bit too far away to go hunting with you but I know there are members closer to where you live.
and of course if you are passing through and I have something planned, I always like hunting with someone rather then solo.
HH,
Donny
hey, donny, it would be fun! stop at Herkimer exit 30 on 90 east. i will drive us down. couple plus hours. Bill

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Stop it! Albany is not UPSTATE! ;D

What Flyinguy said!

Syracuse, Ithaca...now that's upstate.

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006

I always thought that Syracuse was in the State of Buffalo??? :tard:

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Don't know about that but there certainly are a lot of Buffalo droppings coming out of Syracuse's govt. lately. :wink:

;D

ArmyWife628

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2007
Fort Drum NY

flyinguy said:
Donedroolin said:
hi friend, you are upstate but not up-state. n.y. is huge! i'm c.n.y. and am north of you about 50 m. i'm 90 m. miles from cdn. border. then you are up state!

Anything north of NYC is considered upstate NY Syracuse utica and what not is conidered central NY and up here in the ft drum area it is called the north country.

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D

Hi:

In the Binghamton area...Always looking for someone to detect with. With the cold season coming on, it is time to do a lot of research and plan for the spring.

Jeff

Jan 22, 2009

Donedroolin said:
Hello, I am from the Upstate N.Y. area. I live in a small town called Athens. It is located approx 30 miles South of Albany and 30 miles North of Kingston.

Hello Done-

I just knew you weren't going to get away with saying we live upstate, except by those living around NYC!

We're about 20 minutes from you in East Durham. If this darn ice and snow ever melts, and I ever get some free time, I'd be happy to do some TH-ing with you. If by any chance you're into motorcycles, that's our other big vice. Regardless, both addictions are stalled waiting for the melt........

Meanwhile, we have the third annual Blackthorne Resort "Lost Treasure Weekend" scheduled June 5 - 7, 2009. Carol K, Owner/Administrator at FMDF asked me to post more detailed background info at her forum, which I did, so you can find that at the following links:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=24908

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?s=f40779d6f1e7a0648988e115a14d4108&t=25801

Anyone who wants to receive a brochure can e-mail me their name and mailing address, and we'll get one right out. This is going to be a BIG event, with reservations coming in from individuals, families, and clubs from all over NY, MA, CT, NJ, & PA, but we have also taken reservations from as far away as Kentucky and Florida!

[email protected]

Cherokee

Feb 17, 2009
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Edge II

I live in Rochester, NY. Gonna hit the Erie Canal this spring and see what pop's up.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

we live in kingston ny and have a few place that may turn up some good finds
would love to hook up with anyone who can help us learn the ropes
i have the time to do research on diffrent sites and dont mind doing the leg work

any takers let me know

Jan 22, 2009

fmerg said:
we live in kingston ny and have a few place that may turn up some good finds
would love to hook up with anyone who can help us learn the ropes

any takers let me know

I have found that this forum as well the following:

Friendly Metal Detecting Forum http://metaldetectingforum.com
Yahoo Family Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/metaldetectingfamily/

are great opportunities for exposure to the wealth of information available on the internet. Also, I personally prefer to learn from others' mistakes, especially financial ones, rather than repeat them myself!

Hunting with a group always offers opportunities for learning that all the manuals in the world won't provide. That said, have you heard about the third annual "Lost Treasure Weekend" at the Blackthorne Resort, East Durham, NY 12423, being held June 5 - 7, 2009?

Groups and individual metal detectors/treasure hunters are making reservations from all over the country, although most are from the northeastern USA states. You are only 45 minutes from the Blackthorne.

Here are a couple links which contain much more info:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=24908

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=25801

Anyone interested can also e-mail me directly at [email protected] with questions, or send me your mailing address to have a brochure sent to you detailing the event. Accommodations available include modestly priced rooms, including wonderful meals, or camp sites which accommodate tents to RV hook-ups.

Thousands of dollars in prizes ranging from coins to metal detecting equipment are going to be given away over the course of the weekend. How-to seminars, troubleshooting and expert advice is available from Bob LaVoy and Whites Electronics.

yotman1

Mar 5, 2009
Watervliet, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - also a dealer

Hi Donedroolin

I am in Albany. We have a local club Empire State Metal Detectors Association. We meet monthly in Latham.
Send me an e-mail and I'll give you contact info. for me and the next meeting date

[email protected]

Tim

Zippomann

Mar 1, 2009
Geddes N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX , Garrret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi all
Just was wondering if there were any local clubs here in central NY, by this I mean Syracuse, or surrounding areas Dewitt, Camillus, Brewerton. places close to Syracuse

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

Zippomann said:
Hi all
Just was wondering if there were any local clubs here in central NY, by this I mean Syracuse, or surrounding areas Dewitt, Camillus, Brewerton. places close to Syracuse

Not that I know of, I am 20 mins from Syracuse.
Perhaps you should start one.
I am not much for clubs, but I do like group hunts.
HH,
Donny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread