Lorain County - Looking for People/Group

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very new to the hobby, so new I haven't get my detector yet, Christmas gift from Wife (hopefully) and if not it will be a New Years gift to myself :)

Anyway, looking for people and/or club to join.

Also, any good info on where we can and cannot metal detect at? And how receptive have people been when you ask to metal detect on private land (farms, old houses, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
PM Tnet member Loco-Digger. If I am not mistaken he lives in Lorain County.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What part of the county are you in? I'm down by Wellington and have been in the hobby since 2014.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amherst/Lorain

Live in Lorain and I have an office in Amherst off Rt. 58. Heck your about 20mins away!

From your photo I take it you are ex-military too? Same here.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see another local, I have hunted with a few I met on the local county FB page, but not many are really into the hobby and even though I have taken them to my sites none have ever reciprocated with an invite to their permissions. I presume it's because they just parks, schools, and other public lands. Which detectors are you interested in? I have a slightly used Fisher F70 I'd sell for $325 if you are intersted (it retailed for about $700 when originally purchased). I plan on getting out this weekend if you're interested. I have 3 land machines and your welcome to borrow one, either the F2 or the F70. I also have enough gear to set you up for a hunt if your interested to try.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amherst/Lorain

Live in Lorain and I have an office in Amherst off Rt. 58. Heck your about 20mins away!

Yes I spent 27 years in uniform and retired back in 2004.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see you boys playing nice together.

A9,
I have hunted in Pa, NJ, NY and NC with Loco on no less than 4 occasions, he has stayed at my house before too. Great guy with a calm disposition and excellent hunt skills. He can help you get going.

Good luck boys!

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see another local, I have hunted with a few I met on the local county FB page, but not many are really into the hobby and even though I have taken them to my sites none have ever reciprocated with an invite to their permissions. I presume it's because they just parks, schools, and other public lands. Which detectors are you interested in? I have a slightly used Fisher F70 I'd sell for $325 if you are intersted (it retailed for about $700 when originally purchased). I plan on getting out this weekend if you're interested. I have 3 land machines and your welcome to borrow one, either the F2 or the F70. I also have enough gear to set you up for a hunt if your interested to try.

Looking to get a Garrett AT Max for Christmas from the Wife. Been eyeing the AT Pro for a couple of years now and with the Max coming out, think it is time to pull the trigger. Hey you show me the best way to go about getting permissions and you show me yours I'll show you mine :) While I would love to go this weekend, except for the fact of freezing my ass off, I have a trial next week I have to prepare for. But if you plan on going another weekend this year, please let me know. Once I get my gear I plan to do some hunting at least 2-3 times a month. I really need something to help relax and relieve some stress, plus the exercise will be nice.

Yes I spent 27 years in uniform and retired back in 2004.

Nice. I too got out in 2004, but I certainly did not have 27 years in; just 7 at that time (3 years enlisted and 4 as officer). We both got out at good times considering how the sandbox blew up after we left.

A9,
I have hunted in Pa, NJ, NY and NC with Loco on no less than 4 occasions, he has stayed at my house before too. Great guy with a calm disposition and excellent hunt skills. He can help you get going.

Good luck boys!

Thanks for the feedback, good to know he's not a serial killer :D And the best way to learn something is by following in the footsteps of experience!

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also have a son who's 5 1/2 now and this is something that I want to learn so I can do it with him as well when he gets a little older. I'm a huge history buff so the prospect of holding something that is 80+ years old is very intriguing. I just imagine what it was like back then and what the person must have been doing when had it last. LOL I'm one of those people who likes to touch **** at museums, you know, you gotta touch it or it isn't real :)

We also have an RV so this is something that I can take with me and do out and about in different parts of the country.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my a bromance.
Amherst/Lorain

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A9, out of all the latest introductions, AT Max, Nokta Impact, and the Minelab Equinox, the Equinox has piqued my interest above the other 2. I am a Fisher guy and am seeing the hype build for their new flagship coming out soon. The AT Max is pretty much an AT Pro that has the ZLink system built in and runs a better freq than the AT Pro IMHO. Both the AT Pro and AT Max are good machines, you'll do well with either one.

Getting permissions is just like asking a girl to dance at the first dance you attended. It get's easier the more you do it. I have and do cold knocked, but personally rather pull up when I see the owner outside. It's easier to start up a conversation to feel them out in order to determine if it's a good time to ask or not.

I do hunt public lands, but prefer to hunt permissions in the older parts of towns. The majority of my good finds have come from permissions. When we 1st meet to hunt I will take you to a public spot to teach you how to use the machine and to make sure you understand how to dig a good plug. Once you can plug like a pro we can go hit some permissions.

Hope to see you soon. I normally hunt until the ground freezes which usually happens in mid to late January and lasts until late Feb or early March.

Good Luck in the trial.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my a bromance.

Hey Casca I hunted with another noob from Amherst a couple weeks ago, There must be something in the waterup there, because both are seriously looking to the Garrett line. Randy the one I took hunting is also an avid hunter so I don't expect to dirt fish with him again until the hunting seasons are over. I am personally glad they want to use Garretts, that keeps them from digging the deeeeep stuff. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL GREAT I sucked at asking women out, this should be fun!

No ****, you can really hunt that late into the year? I never would have thought that.

After this weekend, the next couple of weekends should work. I'll be bundled up like that kid from A Christmas Story LOL

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A9,

Good luck boys!

Thanks for the kind words Tom. :notworthy: I wish you good luck in your upcoming in the Northeast with the B@stards of the Br@amble and Treblehunter. Is Smittyman going with you this trip?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL GREAT I sucked at asking women out, this should be fun!

No ****, you can really hunt that late into the year? I never would have thought that.

After this weekend, the next couple of weekends should work. I'll be bundled up like that kid from A Christmas Story LOL

Yes sir just wear many layers, and have to keep your batteries warm. Frozen batteries act like dead batteries. I don't hunt yards in the winter, but I have some public sites that aren't played out yet. They are not as target rich as they once were, but you can still pull coins and maybe some bling from them.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the kind words Tom. :notworthy: I wish you good luck in your upcoming in the Northeast with the B@stards of the Br@amble and Treblehunter. Is Smittyman going with you this trip?

Smittyman and I will head out at 6:00AM tomorrow for a little 12 hour “joy ride”. We all will miss getting to see you.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
loco's a great guy. ive been out of touch with him for a year or so but i got so busy with work i lost time to do this hobby. but getting back into it again. new job and more time for me. I bought one of his machines (which i still have) and we went to some of my spots and he took the time to teach me how to use it. glad to see hes still diggin! maybe sometime we can all meet up! going to work on gettting some permissions back to some spots i know about.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
loco's a great guy. ive been out of touch with him for a year or so but i got so busy with work i lost time to do this hobby. but getting back into it again. new job and more time for me. I bought one of his machines (which i still have) and we went to some of my spots and he took the time to teach me how to use it. glad to see hes still diggin! maybe sometime we can all meet up! going to work on gettting some permissions back to some spots i know about.

Thanks for the kind words Fuzzy, I PM'd you over the past couple years. I don't know how you kept your sanity working 16 hours a day at 3 occupations. I have 3 prospective sites, all 3 had houses on them back in the 1850's, 2 were along a road that no longer exists and one is on county park property. I have been shot down 3 times trying to hunt that site on a weekend, I think I will get permission for a weekday though. Sure would be nice to swing a site with you this season. Stay in touch.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would love to man! Ive left the landfill adn am now working for a dealership. Better conditions, pay, hours and environment. Downside i lost access to all that property. :( but i am still on good terms so ive already emailed my old bosses for permission. If it comes through your the first person im calling. which i need your number again. ill pm you mine. Ive already sent in my request for 2018 metro parks permit. Looking forward to meeting up with you again! also have some intrigue into the F70 you mentioned in another post..but also considering the F75 i found..but as always more time with what i have would be the best place to start!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread