Any one want to go with me

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I wasn't so far away. You're in a great area for hunting for all kinds of things.
You are probably aware of all the treasure stories in that area.
I was down that way several years ago for a treasure hunter get-together. I could have stayed a month but only had a couple of days.

OP
OP
katyiverson

katyiverson

Jun 23, 2013
I wish I wasn't so far away. You're in a great area for hunting for all kinds of things.
You are probably aware of all the treasure stories in that area.
I was down that way several years ago for a treasure hunter get-together. I could have stayed a month but only had a couple of days.

Hey Rob, tomorrow I am going to an old lake,,,water level is way down,,,so thought I would take advantage of the cool day tomorrow,,,yes I think we have some great locations,,,I just hate going by myself though,,,sometimes my adult son will go with me,,,,I really need a hunting partner here....

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my son was in his teens, I got him to help me a couple of times. He thinks that digging up rusty metal is the most lame, boring thing anyone could do.

There is wealth of information here on T-Net. I've been here for many years. While I can't read it all, I've read (and learned) a lot. There are tons of posts about OK. You've got some history down there. Maybe you'll find the cave with the iron door!

I bought topo maps for KS and OK, they really help. Google Earth is great too. You can overlay another map on Google Earth to help find spots.

For the hunting that you're doing, this might help
Home Page historicmapworks.com

Good Luck

OP
OP
katyiverson

katyiverson

Jun 23, 2013
When my son was in his teens, I got him to help me a couple of times. He thinks that digging up rusty metal is the most lame, boring thing anyone could do.

There is wealth of information here on T-Net. I've been here for many years. While I can't read it all, I've read (and learned) a lot. There are tons of posts about OK. You've got some history down there. Maybe you'll find the cave with the iron door!

I bought topo maps for KS and OK, they really help. Google Earth is great too. You can overlay another map on Google Earth to help find spots.

For the hunting that you're doing, this might help
Home Page historicmapworks.com

Good Luck

Thank you Rob,,,,I am not much on the computer but can access google earth...how do I overlay another map? I have several of those I would love to do that with

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull down the "Add" menu, click image overlay. Then find your map file. After it loads, you'll have "handles" on the image so you can resize it and move it to line up landmarks that appear on both GE and your map.

I hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
katyiverson

katyiverson

Jun 23, 2013
Pull down the "Add" menu, click image overlay. Then find your map file. After it loads, you'll have "handles" on the image so you can resize it and move it to line up landmarks that appear on both GE and your map.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes it does,,,there are a couple old forts around I think are in pastures now,,,I really want to get in those too,,this will help finding exactly where they are

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get the overlays to work?

Have you been to the BLM site? There is the original survey from the 1870's.
Sometimes the surveyors notes are very interesting as well as the maps.
Search - BLM GLO Records

In my research, I don't recall any forts in the area, but I was looking for something else at the time.

OP
OP
katyiverson

katyiverson

Jun 23, 2013
Did you get the overlays to work?

Have you been to the BLM site? There is the original survey from the 1870's.
Sometimes the surveyors notes are very interesting as well as the maps.
Search - BLM GLO Records

In my research, I don't recall any forts in the area, but I was looking for something else at the time.

Still working on the overlays,,,,,the forts are several as well as several old trading post,,, most are about 30-45 min drive away

jdmoles

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2014
el reno
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is jeff I spend a lot of time down there I live in el reno I'm going down to Wildman soon.

okie-carbine

Apr 28, 2013
Detector(s) used
still shopping.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you ever find a hunting partner?

have you made it out to any sites?

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used