Any Portland OR / Vancouver WA hunters?

OP
OP
BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Well here's an update:
I received my Whites DMX that I bought on Ebay yesterday and decided to hit one of my old haunts this morning, Columbia Park in N. Portland. What I found was horrifying...open holes all over the place from another detectorist, if you can call em that. Well, I was embarrassed and ashamed to be there so I decided to slap this person in the face with silver from the area he had recently detected. I flagged out a 40'x40' area in the worst holey areas and decided to dig every target and then run my 14" Eclipse deepscan over it. Finally after many hours of digging junk and clads <whack> score...slap #1 a 1947 Washington at 7.5". Whack slap #2 a 1927 Merc at 8"... <whack><whack><whack><whack><whack><whack> all other slap totals were 5 Wheaties, 2 1940's Jeffersons, 1 1961 dime, a 1964 Canadian dime, 1 clad Quarter, 6 clad Nickels, 4 clad dimes and 11 pennies. All these dug from the other detectorist's area. Oh and the final and hardest slap was when I fixed all this persons holes and pick up all his dug trash. What do you think, is a confrontation in order to set this person straight?
finds_1.jpg
Overall a pretty good day considering I had to re-learn to use a detector!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Welcome back to the sport. I wish I was in Portland, but I live in Eugene. Seems like lots of great [laces to detect there. Maybe see you some time.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Well done! That is the kind of action we need. I am in the Hermiston / Stanfield area & I have been finding similar situations here where I thought I was almost alone. I hate to see evidence of another detectorist that fails to restore the grounds where they dig. Yelow spots, unfilled holes, clumps of dug up sod & trash left behind. I always clean up the mess as best I can before I leave. It's hard enough to get permission without mess makers ahead of us.

I am in Gresham often. I don't know where to hunt there, but maybe we can get together sometime. Let me know.
Spotz

goldpanman

Oct 1, 2004
Hello and I agree,
This guy that is digging up the landscape needs a talking to! I am very new to MD and live in Hillsboro. I have tried to find old maps and stuff at the library showing old building sites but have not found much useful info yet. I started thinking about gold prospecting and MD last year at the beginning of winter so have not had much time invested. I would love some pointers from any of you in this area. I bought a Fisher M-Scope 1212-X MD on Ebay. Have found some junk but that is it. Only used at the beach mainly. If anyone wants to get out and look for some treasure let me know. Any suggestions would also be helpful. You can respond to me here or [email protected]

Thanks,
Matt

spelunker2

Greenie
Mar 15, 2008
Aloha,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter Vision Pro XJ9
3 year old thread now. I just started. Son gave me a MD 4 days ago and I have about 14 hrs. reading on internet about TH so far. LOL. :icon_study: :icon_scratch:
Haven't used it yet but planning on a beach trip soon.

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Luck at the beach! I've been trying to find cool stuff around the Gorge, but so much of it is off boundaries because of the "Historic Markers"....sucks...

Anasazi

May 5, 2012
Ocean Park WA
Detector(s) used
Main detectors XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Anfibio multi, Tesoro Sand Shark

used in the past but not forgotten
Sov Elite
SE Pro
Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Teknetics Mark 1 LTD coin computer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from Astoria. If anyone comes to the beach to cool off and detect email me [email protected] maybe we can dig some pulltabs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread