Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

a365mac

May 5, 2007
Japan
Hey Dave. I'm on Honshu hunting the beaches (only twice so far). How long have you been at it? What are your best finds? My best so far (for monetary value) is a Hermes bracelet. My personal favorite though is a gold capped set of false teeth ;D

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
im soon to be at Misawa, and was wondering if they got any specific laws against md'ing, and/or keeping what you find. also if anyone close round wants to group up, id be willing 'round Sept.

a365mac

May 5, 2007
Japan
I have never looked into the legalities of metal detecting here. I don't know if there are any laws regarding metal detecting, but good judgement should be enough. It simply isn't a popular hobby here from what I can tell. I have never seen anyone else metal detecting nor have I ever seen a sign prohibiting it. No one has ever approached me while metal detecting either, but I stick mainly to the beaches early in the morning. Historic sites could be a different story. The detectorist's code of ethics should serve well. I have read that divers are prohibited from removing anything underwater here and that the government claims ownership to anything in it's territorial waters, but you should check with some local divers to see if that is true/accurate in practice. I am down by Yokosuka, but I have read that the Misawa area has beautiful beaches and fantastic beachcombing (glass floats). Check out the book "I'd Rather be Beachcombing" by Bert and Margie Webber. It provides some good info on beachcombing in the Misawa area.

K

KakinokiJames

I'm in Japan and want to get into the hobby. Not sure if I can get a detector here. I'm sort of near Iwakuni, Yamaguchi-ken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread