Help needed to research google earth on old battle site in New zealand

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi Everone

I am researching a site in New zealand where there was a moari war back in the 1860,s. The location is called Rangariri and i think i have the GPS coordinates 37`25 47 01 S and 125`08 02.42 E. I am new to google earth and don't know really how to use it correctly. All i can get is a big blotchy area where i think it is. Any help will be greatly appreciated. After being on the google earth website i understand that they might not have high res pics of the area but just wanted to confirm with someone who is a little more familiar with the programme than I am. I have a link for anyone interested in having a quick look about the battle and the extensive earthworks that the Moari's built to fight the crown. I don't believe that anyone has really metal detected the area yet and I was hoping to see if I can see what is left if the trenches and so forth from the satellite. I do know that the crown bombarded the area with cannons and the rifled armstrong artillery and I was sort of hoping that i may be able to find something. The main highway runs right through the middle of it now but there should be some evidence from satellite as to where the trenches are on each side of the highway. I have been down the area and it is a little hard to get an accurate mapping of the area. Again any help will be greatly appreciated.

Link to the battle

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Cow01NewZ-c35.html

Cheers ??? ;D

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I found the location you are speaking of, your coordinates seem to be off, instead of 25 should be 175 degrees, see attached kml file. Also it doesn't appear to have the hi-res imagery. Sorry, all the help I am able to provide other than try maps.google.com and look for it on that mapping as well, looks to be the same image but you can get more detailed street info.

Attachments

• Rangariri.kml
    552 bytes · Views: 164

Bulgarian

Sep 1, 2005
HEY SASNZ
A BATTLE IN NEW ZEALAND HUH ? MUST BE ONE OF THOSE BATTLES WE SAW IN THE MOVIE LORD OF THE RINGS .... ;) SO LET US KNOW IF YOU FIND ANY ORC ARTIFACTS :o

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE THOUGH ...I TRIED TO LOOK UP THOSE COORDINATES. THE LOCATION IS IN THE OCEAN SOUTH OF AUSTRALIA AND NOWHERE NEAR NZ. SO THERE MUST BE AN ERROR SOMEWHERE....

HH
Bulgarian

OP
OP
sasnz

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Thanks for the help guys but a friend suggested i get in touch with the aireal photo shop so have just done that. Once I have sussed this all out i will be down their with the detector to clean it out, well I hope so at least, will keep you informed. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions