beginner

Greenie
Dec 14, 2012
knoxville tn
Detector(s) used
x-terra 30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and also i would like any info anyone can give me on starting a club. what are some basic things i should know for starting a detecting club?

ctb7

Aug 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in E.Tn. are you from. I am in Abingdon, Va. close to the border. Tom

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I a from McMinn County

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from the Athens area between Athens and Englewood just between Knoxville and Chattanooga.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been to a Knoxville Smarts meeting and considered it a complete waste of time. They spent most of the meeting arguing about rules for the monthly $5 prizes that they hand out. Seems one group was tired of the same group of friends winning all the cash.(guess who decided who won the prizes)

The reason I never went back tho was that they didn't DO anything that blew my whistle. All the club dues went into those $5 'prizes' and the semiannual 'Throw a bunch of silver dimes in a field and hunt them' contest (literally that's what they did- I watched them do it). That is not what I envision a metal detecting club doing. What a club ought to do is to use those dues to gain access to properties that a single hunter couldn't obtain and to actively promote the club as a resource to the community (ala Lost My Stuff kind of thing). If I want to just sit around and eat/drink or shoot the breeze with my friends, I sure don't need to pay dues to do that.

Maybe I'm off base with all that tho- what do the rest of youall think a club should be doing?

bigun

Dec 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in kingsport just starting out with a Old Discovery 2000

Gaiton6729Zippo

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2016
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 and Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy All: There is a club in Johnson City Tenn that has been active a little more than a year. The TRI-CITIES HISTORICAL PRESERVATION SOCIETY meets on the 3rd Tues. of the month at 6:30 PM at Shoneys in Johnson City. If you have an interest in MD come out and meet us. we look forward to seeing you.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gaiton6729Zippo,
I am going to be spending some time in Lenoir City which is about 2 hours from you guys.
Do you guys have anybody from that far away at your meetings?
Do you know of a group closer to Lenoir City?
Thanks very much!

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax and fisher f44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a metal detecting club in JC?! that's so exciting! too bad i just learned of this today and missed the last meeting. I'm in Kingsport and am glad to hear of a club!

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in jonesborough.....think there used to be a club there

Gaiton6729Zippo

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2016
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
muerte, I am not sure where all of the members are from, most seem to be fairly close to the tri cities area. We have 20-30 members as this is a fairly new club. I do not know of a club in Lenoir, you may be able to Google it and find out. Thanks if you get a chance come to a meeting and meet us, we are always glad to talk and swap stories about M.D.

Gaiton6729Zippo

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2016
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jdsly, Some of the members in the Tri-Cities Historical Preservation society used to be in the club in Jonesboro. Come check out the club.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread