Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    May 2012
    Flower Mound, TX
    CTX 3030, Explorer XS

NW of Dallas

I'm looking for a detecting buddy(s) in the Flower Mound or NW Dallas metroplex to hunt in this area. I know State parks and even the FM city parks are off limits so I'm not sure how to locate some good places to hunt. It seems private property is about the only thing not illegal for hunting in Texas.

If anyone has some ideas and places to go for a joint hunt around this area, please post or PM me.

Thanks.
    Wally

us
    Let's go dig some history!

Jan 2007
    TEXAS
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
    24 times
    Are you certain that city parks are off limits? You can hunt them in Dallas...or at least, I have never had a problem doing so...
    Baggins

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    384 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Look for small towns with small parks that might have been over looked most small cities dont have laws on detecting there parks ...atleast in my state that is

us
    May 2012
    Flower Mound, TX
    CTX 3030, Explorer XS
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Are you certain that city parks are off limits? You can hunt them in Dallas...or at least, I have never had a problem doing so...
    Baggins
    I emailed the city parks dept. and they quoted me the law and said there is no law against using a metal detector but I can't disturb the ground or anything. While a rediculous statement, I'm not at the point where I want to try to spend the time trying convince them otherwise. I might try to contact the person mentioned below and see what they say about getting written permission. Here is part of their email after citing and copying the city ordinance:

"So while you could take your metal detector to the park, you are not allowed to dig holes, or disturb in any way, shape or form any Town Property without the written consent of the Executive Director of Community Services. I am sure you can understand the liability issues that could arise from permitting the digging of holes to retrieve items found by a metal detector."

Prohibited Acts
    Sec. 54-72 (P) Damage/defacement. It shall be unlawful to damage or deface any trees, plants, turf, structure, fence, bench, table, apparatus, or paved surface or other area, without written permission from the director of parks and recreation or his designee; provided, however, that the prohibition contained in this subsection shall not apply to town officials, employees or agents performing maintenance or other authorized activities.
    Last edited by pspr; May 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

us
    Nov 2008
    North Texas
    Ace 250, AT Pro
    146 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have hunted Flower Mound parks and have never had any issues at all. I talked with a policeman while digging at a school and had no problem. I had no idea, but have been doing this for about 3 years. Sometimes it is better to not even ask!

Have you ever thought of visiting a detecting club in the area? That's a great way to learn and to meet people to hunt with. I would suggest the Lone Star Treasure Club in Irving which meets on the last Friday night of every month. There is usually a fun hunt for the group the next morning.

us
    May 2012
    Flower Mound, TX
    CTX 3030, Explorer XS
    Thanks. Maybe I'm too quick to ask when the law isn't specific about detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by baylorhall View Post
    I have hunted Flower Mound parks and have never had any issues at all. I talked with a policeman while digging at a school and had no problem. I had no idea, but have been doing this for about 3 years. Sometimes it is better to not even ask!

Have you ever thought of visiting a detecting club in the area? That's a great way to learn and to meet people to hunt with. I would suggest the Lone Star Treasure Club in Irving which meets on the last Friday night of every month. There is usually a fun hunt for the group the next morning.

us
    Apr 2012
    Flower Mound, TX
    AT Pro
    Good luck finding anything in Flower Mound. I have cleared out all of the parks! Well.... maybe I haven't but I have hit most of them pretty hard. Let me know if you want to meet up and do some hunting. I have been hitting many parks and schools in Flower Mound with many city workers and police men passing by and I have had not issue. Of course I wouldn't say that I was defaceing or damageing anything! I don't do any more damage than the squirrels that are digging up nuts.

us
    Nov 2008
    North Texas
    Ace 250, AT Pro
    146 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I agree. They are fairly clean. I wish I could find some old property to hunt. The guys in Dallas find some great tear downs but they tend to be in questionable areas. Maybe we could find some old places up in Denton or one of those little towns north of here. I would love to hunt with a small group if you don't mind having a mom of teenagers with you! Jeremy, do you hunt at the lakes? Baylorhall

us

Jan 2007
    TEXAS
    24 times
    The more, the merrier....we should get a group together and hit some spots..
    Baggins

us
    Nov 2008
    North Texas
    Ace 250, AT Pro
    146 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sounds great, Baggins!

us
    Apr 2012
    Flower Mound, TX
    AT Pro
    I hit Lake Grapevine once but there was so much trash on the surface that I pretty much just gave up. The way I understand the permit is that I can pretty much just hit the shorelines so I assume the trails and camp sites are off limits.

There are old homes in Lewisville also. In fact I will be hitting a couple tomorrow. I also know where some torn down ones are here in Flower Mound but I haven't found much at them so far. Lets meet up and I can share my info with you. I have my eye on a spot here in Flower Mound but haven't worked up the courage to ask for permission yet.

us
    May 2012
    Flower Mound, TX
    CTX 3030, Explorer XS
    I guess my concerns about hunting in the Flower Mound parks have been allayed. I'm up for a group hunt. We should pick a park or fair ground or some place and a date/time that works for us and get together.

baylorhall I replied to your PM but not sure I sent it right. Did you get the PM I sent?
    Last edited by pspr; May 27, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

us
    Apr 2012
    Flower Mound, TX
    AT Pro
    Send me a PM and I can suggest some places to meet up. If you guys have some leads that would be great also.

us

Jan 2007
    TEXAS
    24 times
    I may be heading out to a park out in Oak Cliff that I hunt at tomorrow...we shall see...
    Baggins

us
    Nov 2008
    North Texas
    Ace 250, AT Pro
    146 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hopefully last night's rain softened things up a bit! HH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links