NE Texas area (Lamar County - Paris)

RICKbh

May 20, 2007
NE TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER 202
Crapshooter Im also new to this and live in Lamar county. Ive detected a few pastures and lake gibbins so far. I havent found anything of much signifagence, but its still a great hobby . If you hear of any good places to hunt let me know. Il do the same.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
You may already know of these places but just in case, it may do some good.

Texas Ghost Town
TAYLOR TOWN , TEXAS
Lamar County, North Central Texas
FM 1498
15 Miles SE of Paris
Population: 40 (1990)

Area Hotels - Book Here & Save
Paris Hotels >
History in a Pecan Shell

It is supposed that the town was named after early settlers who arrived sometime before 1900. The community had some commercial buildings during the Great Depression, but it's close proximity to Paris made further growth unlikely. After WWII, increased mobility allowed people to find work in distant places and by the 1960s, there were no businesses left.

Now known as a "dispersed rural community," Taylor Town, along with it's near neighbor of Glory, Texas, have become ghost towns.

© John Troesser
Letter from a Former Resident:

I'm from Paris, Texas. Well I was born there, but my formative years were spent on the outskirts of Paris in Taylor Town. Down the street was Glory, Texas. My family had an old general store in Taylor Town called Gordon Mart (now closed)... now all that is left is a cemetery where a few of my relatives are buried.

Glory is less than a mile from the Taylor Town area and I think all that is left there are houses and a church my grandfather attends.

These two towns were an important part in my family heritage, and to have them added to your site would mean the world to me. I don't want them to be lost forever. Thank you. - Heather Gordon, December 29, 2004
Taylor, Texas Forum

RICKbh

May 20, 2007
NE TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER 202
Tin Nugget thanks for the info. I know some people out in Taylor town and will check it out. Once again thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread