Bottle Hunting In North Texas

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
I live in grayson county, and am researching a couple of places to bottle hunt. Anyone got any idea's or just want to come along for the fun of it let me know.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have some leads in Crowley area. Am thinking about digging a possible privy there soon. Found some more modern (60's) poison bottles on top and a apothecary bottle that is a little older. Also a 1899 Macomb Pottery jug nearby. This place is easy to access and will be a subdivision probably really soon. I think I found the privy and it is filled with wire and stones and has trees growing in it now. Not huge trees, and not right in the center. I have a sifter and some digging tools... Think the house was torn down in late 50's but was there for who knows how long...

Now close up.

What do you think?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    428.9 KB · Views: 601
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 445
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 379

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
Very possible. A depression is a good sign of either a well or an old privy. Do you have a soil probe? It can tell you where soil disturbances are such as a privy, well, post hole, ect. The key is the soil color. A soil disturbance will have a different soil color and texture from the surrounding soil. I have used this technique many times to find privies. Also Sanborn fire insurance maps are very helpful, as they often show where privies and wells are in exact distances from houses.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have detected there and it is pretty trashy. Lots of tin, valve covers, wire and just remnants of house and farm. I found the front gate and the back porch. The possible privy is just north of house about 50 ft. I do not have a probe to check it out but I need to get one I guess. Couple other dump sites nearby but this place seems most promising. Anyone want to join up and split finds let me know.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Also, I did find a small sinkhole that at first I was thinking it could be a well. The soil was definitely different. But there is also a telephone pole nearby so it could have been more recent. Well, privy or trash pit... Any of the 3 could get interesting. And as far as wells go... I know where an old one is near an old cattle tank. Has some water in it at the moment. Maybe magnet fish it. Maybe pump it. I don't really want to go inside but if anyone else does I can get you there...

TexasHarper

Greenie
Apr 8, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY!!! You guys still bottle hunting?? Did any of this pan out?? I've gone dumpdiving in Dallas at a PreWWII dump site. Poison bottles have come from here...I found a $40 sterling silver dinner fork my first time there!! But now, the poison ivy and mosquitos are too bad...

Anyone looking for a hunting buddy?? OH..ANYONE have a bottle machine????

TexasHarper

Greenie
Apr 8, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone still bottle hunting in N. Texas???? I have a really sweet spot (or at least I think it is), but won't go again till after the first freeze due to bugs, snakes and poison ivy!! Anyone else bottle hunting?

TexasPike

Apr 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasHarper,

We are new on this site, but long time junkers in Dallas. We are looking for a bottle hunting buddy, if you would like to hook up with us. We are currently working both, the Canton, 1st Monday Flea Market and the McKinney, 3rd Monday Flea Market. We want to add bottles to our personal collection though, not to sell them.

If you would like to talk, you can reach us by email at [email protected]. We would love to hear back from you.

Thanks so much!

Cody and Heather Lunsford

PickerDave

Sep 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle hunting in N. Texas you say!?

Anyone still bottle hunting in N. Texas???? I have a really sweet spot (or at least I think it is), but won't go again till after the first freeze due to bugs, snakes and poison ivy!! Anyone else bottle hunting?

Hi! I live in Red Oak just south of Dallas and would love to go bottle hunting with you. :-) I'm an RN and recently moved to the area. I have a pretty good collection of civil war era bottles. :-)
Dave

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd be interested as well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread