Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great acedigger, that you have access to another property. That Spanish mission I mentioned was on the Red river, but I have no idea of the name. There is Burro loads of gold cached before they reached the mission. Then NE of Goldtwaite a few miles is a Spanish treasure cave which could be filled with tons of cached gold.

The Spanish cache of San Saba Mission or banking is marked by a tree, possibly has an iron spike driven into it to mark the spot. It is along some trail leading probably to the North up from where San Saba river meets the Colorado. Your area produced an incredible amount of gold and silver. South of San Saba is the richest type gold geology, only one other location that is like it in Texas. More huge caches were made throughout San Saba vicinity.

Looking at topo maps I noticed some old wells in several locations with what seem to be and are marked similar, like 4-WD roads on Arizona maps. Maybe some old sites?

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever happened. Good story !!!

OP
OP
acedigger

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Hello everyone, sorry for the long delays in responding. I haven't posted on here in a while. Been too dang busy. As far as this topic goes, I am still researching it, learning more and more about it. I have found out where the "cave" is but its not on the property that I have permission to go on. Bummer. I don't believe that I can gain permission either. We (landowner and I) are researching some other "things" that are said to be buried on his property. We have come up with some photos from the late 1800's that shine alot of light on the operations that were happening on this place. We are still very much involved in learning about the existence of the treasure and I will keep everyone informed on whats going on.

Thanks for the interest in the thread.

Oct 13, 2006
my wife was raised in Bangs just west of Brownwood as a o9nly kid stillat home she rode horseback all over the country side on her horse she has told me many times her wonderings along the JIMNED creek outside Grosvener when she fell into a hole in the aera as a youngster she was quite frightned so her memory on size of hole ( CAVE ) could be off some she recalls being able to stand upright , the aera had many artifacts of spanish and possably indian origan lots possable SILVER and GOLD items. She went home and told old family friend about her find , went back later to find all was gone family friend clamed there was nothing in " cave" now my wife can tell you in detail things that took place from the time she was five yrs old she has a photographic memory. My point being is there is still many things ( treasures ) to be discovered in Bangs , Brownwood, San Saba aera of Spanish orgin. happy hunting don williams Midland tx. P.S. also try around Zepher just outside Brownwood

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
acedigger,

Very interesting reading. I am a newbie here, but also my 2 cents.
If you were concerned about snakes, go in cold weather when the snakes are dormant and of little concern.
My wifes' family has property north of Byrds' that has been in family since 1880's. That is on north end of Lake Brownwood. I have found many artifacts there, but nothing like you speak of.
That stuff is intoxicating.
There are some very large rock outcroppings on the place and I keep looking for caves and such, but so far nothing. Would like some help with several spots on the place. (old homesteads, wells)
Patience and perseverance. (and a good dose of luck)
I'm up to help and may ask for the same later.
Let me know.

OP
OP
acedigger

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
bravowhiskey said:
acedigger,

Very interesting reading. I am a newbie here, but also my 2 cents.
If you were concerned about snakes, go in cold weather when the snakes are dormant and of little concern.
My wifes' family has property north of Byrds' that has been in family since 1880's. That is on north end of Lake Brownwood. I have found many artifacts there, but nothing like you speak of.
That stuff is intoxicating.
There are some very large rock outcroppings on the place and I keep looking for caves and such, but so far nothing. Would like some help with several spots on the place. (old homesteads, wells)
Patience and perseverance. (and a good dose of luck)
I'm up to help and may ask for the same later.
Let me know.

Hello, sorry its taken me so long to reply to this message. I only get on here everynow and then. Seems work and other hobbies have taken ahold of me and I can't catch up. I love the area around Byrds. I have family all over that general area, mainly the Grosvenor community. I do not have access to much there so if you ever do need a partner to go with you just give me a shout. The best way is to email me. Or if you like pm me and I will give you my phone number. I am only about a 30 minute drive from Byrds Store.
And likewise I desparately am wanting to get back to one of my hot spots but due to the heat and working all the time I just haven't been able to go.
Well thanks for the reply and if I can help let me know.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this reminds me of a Tarleton reunion. I graduated from TSU at Stephenville, Texas in 1976. I'm a lifelong resident of Brown County, Texas and live in Brownwood. My dad told me about a cave in this county where some Spanish armor was once found. The cave is in an area mountain. I've made several exploratory trips over this mountain but have yet to locate it. It's possible that it was blown shut to keep people out of it but I just don't know.
~Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery - y'all are invited to join our group where we discuss a lot of Brown County's secret history.

Attachments

• bloodybillandersonpostcard1.jpg
    bloodybillandersonpostcard1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,237

jdiamond

Apr 3, 2009
If any of yall would like help looking I am defantly up for it. I am new to the treasure hunting thing and have not bought a md yet. Im a big history buff though and curently going to school for a degree in archaeology. I live south of tyler but i dont work on weekends so could drive anywhere.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My treasure hunting partner and I recently discovered a large "turtle" carving on an old oak tree here in central Texas in an area where there are many treasure-related signs while we were working on a Knights of the Golden Circle treasure. We didn't have a camera with us but I intend to return to the area soon and take photos of this and other signs from this site.
~Texas Jay

smilzc23

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from Stephenville and I'm curious as a kitten now. I live in fort worth.... I'm currently looking into the Steinheimer gold that's hidden somewhere around Stephenville. Oldpro said he actually found the site but a shift in the land moved the gold from under the tree. I've asked if he remembers detail on the land, the owners name of the farm in which he was searching on, or directions. It would be nice to go out and find lost treasures. I could use a crew and help, and willing to go out and help in brownwood as well. Even if it is a snake pit the experience would be worth it.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Smilzc23,

I am in Fort Worth as well.

Patrick

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, this is a pretty old thread and an even older tall tale. Steinheimer treasure yes or maybe, cave of gold, silver, artifacts no. That cave story stretches from Brownwood to Del Rio, passing through Menard, Llano, Kingsland, Brady, Mason, the Garner area, and so on and so on.It has been around forever, at least 125+ years and I've heard it told around many a campfire during every season. The stories differ somewhat. Gold, silver, skeletons, spanish artifacts, church objects of silver. There have been several well publicized hunts and nothing was ever found. I love a good treasure story, but a factual, well documented one might produce something. HOWEVER, look if you wish, hunt if you must, pass on the tale if you would because that is part of what makes Texas great, her imagined and sadly overblown past.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi. It sounds like your great uncle was entertaining you by claiming personal experience with the Noss fortune. Noss found a cave with row upon row of gold bars, treasure chests and skeletons chained to the wall wearing spanish armor. He managed to get a small amount out of the cave through the narrow entrance before it was taken over by the gov't and made an air force base. The treasure was then discovered by military personnel. The gold, 100 tons, was then used as the money to finance the JFK assassination. Truth is stranger than fiction. JFK and LBJ viewed the gold at the base following it's recovery. No reference to it can now be found. The Noss treasure is well documented. Now, another note, if I may change lanes to the Steinheimer fortune. Steinheimer buried 10 mule loads of gold, which I estimate at about 1 ton (200 lb/mule). Since I know nothing about gold, how much space (how big a hole) is required to contain a ton of gold? Anybody know?

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ton of gold would be about the size of a small 2 drawer metal file cabinet. That would be estimated based on troy ounces.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I just stumbled upon this Thread, and relized it sounds way to familiar. When I first started detecting a few years back, I was hitting Old Farms and mainly places my Family had access to hear. And one of the places was a 160 Acre piece of land in Rio Vista Tx. When I got there, the owner, who is in his 70's-80's now, told me when he was a kid, they found a cave on the property and it was used for the "Help" to sleep in. He also began to tell me how there was a hollowed out tree by the river where he found a pair of Pistols wrapped up in cloth that were complelty rusted, and this was in the 40's.

He Also told me about the Myth of the "Spanish Gold" that was hidden somewhere near a River in the Rio Vista Area.

Im just wondering if this Story he told me, relates to the Missing Spanish Gold in Central Texas.

is anyone familiar with the Rio Vista Area?

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fish with some ole timers that tell me tales of several places in Central Texas where buried treasures are

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An oak tree with "X's" on it that would have any historical significance would have to be 300+ years old!! Texas has many oaks but there are only a few that are actually over 300 yrs old.

I have looked into the production of gold in Texas and it is scarce! Mostly in West Texas. I find little or no records of significant production in the areas in the tales. The Heath mine produced very little. Llano river does give up a bit of gold but it is really insignificant.

There are a thousand tales of 'treasure' but like one of the previous posters, I think most are pure 'tale'! Actual records, and facts do not support the story.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gonna be checking a place out that's next to my farm that an older man owns.He said when he was young there were X's on some trees and he would find arrowheads just laying on the ground..We went out there the other day to show me where but it was so grown up you couldn't hardly walk and its been 75 years since he was back there. I was more concern on getting him back than any thing else. He also said his mother told him there were rumors that gold was buried there by the Indians

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread